What bit to use

Okay I’m still new to CNC but have been learning a lot and have completed a few small projects. Today I would like to try making one of the cutout state door hangers. Going to use 1/4 plywood and ]going to make the NC cutout. What bit would you suggest to use to cut it out with? First I was thinking a 201 but then thought it might be to big.

For a cutout in plywood (which has a tendency to tear out) I would probably use a 1/4" compression endmill, at 1/4" depth of cut (plus some margin, to make sure to cut through), to get nice clean edges both on the top and bottom surfaces.

1 Like

If I’m looking at the cutters from CC which one would be a compression bit?

There is one in this Amana pack they started selling.

But if you don’t already have one, you can of course still use a #201 or #102 (1/8", if the details on your cutout cannot be achieved with a 1/4" endmill), the only road bump if that you may get tearout. You can still get away with it if for example you add a finishing pass, ideally with a downcut endmill (but again, a 201 can work fine too)

Thank you for the help I’m going to give it a try will post a pic of how it worked thank you again

Note that if you are going to use a regular endmill like the 201, I would stay on the safe side to a depth per pass of 1/8". Plywood has a tendency to scream at “high” DOC, especially in profile cuts.

A #251 downcut cuts plywood quite well, and has the advantage of not requiring a toolpath/depth per pass setting which matches the differing depth of cuts on the compression endmill.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.