What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Des lampe en bois et resine, pour table de nuit ou le Bureau

26 Likes

I dont know what you said but your stuff is beautiful. Very cool technique. Are the wooden parts hollow or blocked or are they solid wood blocks? The top one looks like a tree stump but the bottom one looks like boards joined together. Nice work.

Superbe! Encore un projet qui est dans ma liste de choses à faire.
Can you share your process for polishing the epoxy back to perfect transparency ?

4 Likes

Ce sont plusieurs morceaux de bois collé ensemble

J’ai poncer au grain 80 , jusqu’à 600 ensuite poncer à l’eau jusqu’à 3000 , et polissage ultra fin, pour finir mettre une couche de wax et un dernier polissage

3 Likes

Nice looking part.

I see your Aluminium and raise you pretty much any plastic…

5 Likes

Yeah…

14 Likes

I was initially worried about hot metal but then I figured out that in the high speed air stream and the cyclone separator those little bits of Aluminium would cool down quite a bit.

I still (mostly) empty the wood chips out before playing Black Sabbath on my Shapeoko though…

3 Likes

Yep,

Hot chips are good so long as you’re not in the speed / rubbing ranges where the workpiece heats up, if that happens then the Aluminium gets gummy and starts to stick to the flutes and break your cutter.

People with coolant spray on their mills can push Aluminium somewhat harder than those of us using machines with MDF parts which shouldn’t be dunked in coolant.

1 Like

Just a simple bracket today, but it was too plain so I added some descriptive text.

And a time lapse just for fun

8 Likes

I made some outdoor furniture for my grandson. Today I vcarved a 72 Cutlas into a tabletop. I filled it with epoxy. I will let it sit overnight and will level it tomorrow.

5 Likes

I think I was just wearing the wrong trousers :dog2:

3 Likes

Making some signs for the high school booster club to sell. Only about 187 left to go.

23 Likes

They look very clean! Would you mind laying out your paint process? I haven’t wrapped my head around doing the base and engraved colors both after cutting. Unless you’re doing that many by hand :open_mouth:

3 Likes

First I paint the square blanks navy blue. Then I have a stencil that I paint the silver, the football ones have a stencil for the brown. Then I let the them dry completely. Cover with oramask then carve out. Then white. It is fairly simple it is mostly a waiting game between coats.

1 Like

Persistence pays off!

I have spent the past month trying to perfect deep inlays. Having seen the expert you-tubers doing it I though “if they can do it…”

After MANY, MANY trials and as many errors I am more than happy with my first end grain chopping board.

I set out to achieve a 6mm (1/4") inlay, with no gaps at the side and no “glue” gap under the inlay. There are lots of people who advocate that a glue gap is necessary, my view is that it is not. The glue soaks into the wood and the gap makes the plug give a hollow sound if tapped.

There are just so many variables to contend with but I learnt lots on the way and the finished board required no gap filling at all and the plugs have no gap under them.

This pattern has been cut many times, it was just something that interested me for my practices. Now for more challenging designs!

This is mostly made from Ash and Mahogany.

33 Likes

Fantastic work!

I know there’s a sea of wisdom that goes into it but have any particular videos or tips to share? One of my upcoming projects is an inlay gift for a friend. Plan on doing some serious practicing.

Usually, when I hear about “glue gap” someone is talking about an inlay made with a Vbit rather than those made with an end mill.

1 Like

I like your work, just not sure I would want that face starring at me when trying to cook. :smiley:

2 Likes

Really nice work! What bit did you use on Walter Whites face inlay?

As an Albuquerque area resident I can assure you that this item would be a hot seller at local craft shows. Shortly after production concluded on the Breaking Bad series memrobilia sprung up everywhere around here and is still popular to this day.