What is a Cheap laptop, or tablet to run my machine off of

Hi guys, my PC that was an older one just died, and now I need to buy a new item to pro5.
I was looking at the tablets because it seems like you can’t really get a Laptop for under 200.
Can anyone tell me of a tablet I can use to run this? And is there an app to run Carbide motion from a tablet?

There are a couple of options here:

• some sort of fanless (sealed) tablet running Windows — I run Carbide Motion on my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 — other possibilities include the RCA Cambio and Fusion 5 and Microsoft Surface tablets (just make sure not to get an Arm unit). Whatever you get needs to meet the system requirements for Carbide Motion
  • getting a Raspberry Pi 4 and a touchscreen for it:
  • getting an inexpensive Windows or Mac OS or Raspberry Pi computer and running it “headless” and connecting to it with a tablet and controlling using remote control software such as VNC — for a Mac it should work to use Sidecar on an iPad
  • get a nice Windows tablet — I often run my machines from my Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360 (and before that my Galaxy Book 12)

That said, many folks just use the cheapest Windows laptop which they can find used.

I got this from Amazon and it works great

Thanks guys! I need to research now.

Unfortunately, a refurbished Dell I recommended in a PM was a dry well, since the screen was too small.

Refurbished Surface Go for $151.77

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M715MRT

which should at least run Carbide Motion (once you take it out of Windows S Mode)

Thank you for looking out!

Does anyone know if you can use the tablet with a dongle to run the cnc machine?

Which sort of dongle?

I am able to use my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 which only has one Micro-B USB port w/ a dongle which splits that to provide one USB-A port, and input power over a Micro-B USB connector.

If you are going to use Fusion 360, and you are going to want to modify your toolpaths when you find they aren’t right, you’ll need a laptop that’s fast enough.
My old laptop was really slow, so I bought a modest gaming laptop.

I love the Raspberry Pi 4 for running Motion, there is lots of talk here on all the benefits of a Pi. I used a Pi 3 with motion 5 as 4s were not available for quite awhile there, I now have a pi4, no fan, with Motion 6, a F310 game controller, 42 inch (free) tv monitor. Simple, resilient, no unexpected updates in the middle of a job :slight_smile: and cheap :slight_smile:
As for Cad and Cam I have a Think Center i7 that is 5ish years old, Works for everything I do which is quite a lot:). However I am an anti Cloud guy, For Cloud Cad services like Fusion360, I tried and no way in heck would my machine run it. It was unusable laggy.

3 Likes

OK so it sounds like there’s an adapter to go from a tablet to the full-size USB that the CNC machine requires?

You can use a dongle, or get a suitable cable.

Managed to find:

https://www.amazon.com/Chroma-Cables-Audio-Optimized-Resistor/dp/B083QMZ9L3

which I’ll try out after my next order.

I use a pi4 on my shapeoko, and a dell 7050 running debian on my laser. If I did it again, I wouldn’t use the pi4. It has less features compared to the dell, not upgradeable, and they cost me the same price.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.