What is the possibility that Carbide 3D may host a community wide chat facility?

Simple question. I had occasion to speak with @CNCInspiration today. He was good enough to telephone me because whatever gremlins were in the Facetime system meant we could not chat using it. Calling me from the USA to the UK, was a very kind thing to do. He went above and beyond the call in the response to my question and posted a video for me as well.

So first a public shout out to thank Max for his very generous and very helpful response to my question.

Is there any kind of facility that would permit community members to chat? I was thinking of something like IRC/Facetime/Zoom? How many other people would find this kind of facility useful?

3 Likes

Hi Jeff, always happy to help out a forum member. Not sure why Facetime did not work between the US and UK…
It sure would make it easier to help people diagnose problems with a forum video chat system setup!
Sign me up!

2 Likes

There’s a unofficial shapeoko discord. You could use that for voice, and I’m not sure about the actual chat room, but I’ve had screen sharing sessions through that. The discord has been pretty quiet though.
Google hangouts would work member to member for that type of thing as well.

1 Like

Nice, I figured there was a Discord somewhere. I’ve used these in other forums to great success.

Yes. IRC, facetime (apple only), Zoom, Discord, Teams, Slack and maybe Twitch. Plus about 30 others.

Some. Though as you’ve shown, it’s not a problem to talk with someone you want to.

For the topic question: 100% possibility. 1% probability.

1 Like

I see that… I was thinking more about a means of making the community feel a little more connected.

2 Likes

Understood. Personally, I think that is something for the community to self-organize rather than the government to involve themselves in.

1 Like

Can someone suggest a free remote desktop program? I was using Teamviewer until I connected to my fathers university computer to help him, and Teamviewer decided I was using my account for commercial purposes and demanded 10 million dollars.

VNC. It requires installing the VNC server on the computer you wish to control and forwarding ports through the firewall, but VNC has been around for a very long time and works quite well.

1 Like

That is why I created the Discord server (still happy to give control over to Carbide3D if they’d like it).

1 Like

Seems reasonable to me. :grin:

2 Likes

Good point. I had not thought about it being a government issue. More that my hope was that inter-user communication would be facilitated rather than overseen.