What kind of wood?

I’ve spent a lot of time working with wood over the years, but it’s been easy stuff like buying plywood and 2x4s and putting them together. Just interior or treated. I’ve never had to worry about what kind of wood to get for this type of project or to make that kind of item. Now I’m looking at starting by making signs for the side of our driveway. (It’s a LONG driveway, about 1/2 mile total, and I was going to put a few signs up, maybe a bit like the old Burma Shave signs, just for kicks.)

Is there a good guide anyone can suggest for what kind of wood works for what kind of projects? Or does anyone want to talk about what kind of wood they like to use for various projects?

1 Like

Are you going to paint them? You will want something that will weather well. Paint will help protect them.

If you are looking for a natural look, Cedar will work. Flame burnish to give it highlights—linseed to protect.

Some people are using PVC board. When I have used PVC, I rough it with scotch brite pads to allow it some way for the paint to hold. Spray paint seems to hold well on it.

I have used MDF and painted it to preserve it. In my mind, MDF is a temporary sign as the elements will find a way to seep in.

I like your thoughts on the Burma Shave type of signs

2 Likes

For these signs, probably a more natural look. We have a unique house that was intended to feel like something out of a fairy tale setting. In one area, I’m even making signs that will be in Tengwar (the Elvish lettering from Middle Earth) on the top with English written as if it were a subtitle below that.

Good tips there for other work, like when I’m making painted signs.

I didn’t know anyone even remembered Burma Shave. I went to college in Harrisonburg, VA and there were some Burma Shave signs still standing in that area. But I had learned about them years before from my parents. I’ve always wished someone would bring back that idea.

1 Like

Remember seeing them in movies. Also having traveled to many states for work, I got to see many people mimic those signs. Many had Burma Shave as the last sign

1 Like

Hal,
If you want to know everything about wood, there is an “old-standard” book called “Understanding Wood” (fittingly) by Bruce Hoadley. Tells you all about species, grain, pattern, and how each relates to the properties of the wood and how it will influence your piece.

• Gary
5 Likes

Thanks - that’s the kind of thing I’m looking for!

I made a driveway sign for a buddy of mine who lives in Kentucky. I came across some information that highly suggested using MDO, but I was 1) unfamiliar with the material, and 2) no where near a place that sells it. I ended up using a panel of edge-glued wood stained blue. Anything that I read led me to believe that outdoor wood signs need a nice thick finish to avoid being destroyed by the elements. Since my buddy was going to be using epoxy resin for a different project, I encouraged him to finish the sign with that. He hasn’t had a chance to do that yet (they are just now moving into their new home), so I can’t vouch for how well it will hold up. I’ll attach a picture of the sign and a brief video of the making of the sign.

Video - CNC Work is Ultra Satisfying - YouTube

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.