What photo carving software?

Hello all, I am new to the CNC world but have been following them for a long while. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a new never used Shapeoko XXL for a deal. I have been struggling with what I want to do as far as making it a side hustle and maybe full time at some point. I do however have some things I know I want to do for some friends and family already. I really love the photographs of people on wood and acrylic. I was pointed in the direction of Photo V Carve software and started watching some videos of the software. I then decided to download the trial version to get a better look at it. It seems super simple but I noticed it was much different from most of the videos I had watched. I figured out quickly that the videos I had watched were with some of the other products from Vectric. There were some features I saw in the videos that I really would like to utilize. With that said I was looking at the different version and it appears that the Photo v carve is a part of the VCarve Desktop version. I don’t like that I am limited to 24"X 24" with the software though but doubt that I will need it for larger stuff for the moment. So I had a few question I was hoping some of you could help me with.

1. What software would you recommend for carving photos?
  2. If I purchase VCarve desktop will I be able to save the files out without having to deal with any post processor issues or 3rd party software?
  3. What are the downsides of VCarve Desktop?
    I am sure there are more but these should get me pointed in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions and answers.

With most vetric products you upgrade to next level up by paying only difference in price. That is an incentive to start modest and move up as features are required.

One thing you asked was about not usind post processors. I dont see much need for that if you have a Shapeoko. You can create a file in vetric and save it. Only when you create toolpaths do you need a post processor. Not sure if vetric could be used for a laser but if you create a pic to carve for wood/metal or a laser you save toolpaths for either by changing post processor. The vetric file is not changed by saving toolpaths.

1 Like

From the videos I was watching you create the tool paths with the VCarve desktop.

@Greymare Check out RasterCarve. It’s free and open source.
This was a test I did with a picture of my sons.
White PVC, spray painted black.

6 Likes

People like what they like, of course. My feeling. has been that photo-carving with CNC is an expensive way of creating low-quality render of a photograph. But hey, this is just my opinion. That said, I have played around with converting images to carvings–personally I have enjoyed taking a photo, running it through a filter of some kind to make it black and white, and using the V-carve option on F-engrave. What comes out is more surreal than photorealistic, but that’s just me.

4 Likes

Before spending money, please note that we have a free page for doing this:

2 Likes

Despite my example above, I tend to agree.
It was fun to make, though. What else was I going to do with a scrap of painted PVC?

My wife’s response…
“Aaaawww, they’re so cute. What are you going to do with that thing?”

Similar response when I did a big halftone of my face… Minus the first sentence.

4 Likes

There is also a Windows app downloadable from the programmer Jason Dorie.
http://jasondorie.com/page_cnc.html

Halftoner
This is capable of using Dots, lines or circle halftones.
Very cool!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.