What post processor in vectric vcarve?

I am testing Vectric Vcarve software and don’t know which post processor to select for outputting the tool path.

I would select GRBL inch or mm, but just guessing as i am a NOB.

There about a hundred choices and i really done have a clue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

1 Like

the ones that say shapeoko gcode should work and id choose mm

I now see that choice, I am using Nomad 883 Pro , but i don’t think that makes a difference as it is all the same GRBL.

Thanks for the quick response.

Bill

1 Like

There is one on the Shapeoko wiki: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/File:Carbide3D-Nomad-Inch.pp.txt

I believe it affords some additional features / support — see the announcement: Nomad Postprocessor for PhotoVCarve, Cut2D, and VCarvePro

and installation instructions: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7329&p=57904

Additional information at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Commercial_Software#2.5D_CAM

2 Likes

When I wrote it, the generated G-Code starts with (specification correct) “%” line. If there is trouble using the post processor, let me know and I’ll get rid of it and have @WillAdams update the post processor.

The post processor supports automatic tool length changes, something that the Nomad can do easily but most SO3 are not equipped for.

mark

1 Like

Those SO3s that are equipped for automatic tool length changes may be identified by?

If someone has a Shapeoko set up for automatic tool length changes they did it themselves and they know, and they need to share / document how they set it up.

Just being sure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Those SO3s that are equipped for automatic tool length changes may be identified by?

@WillAdams is the SO3 expert. Correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it one would know they such automatic tool length change support because C3D doesn’t sell it; they had to add it themselves.

I’m not sure that the SO3 can support it or support it easily. Will?

mark

First off, I ain’t no expert — if I were, I wouldn’t need to crib from all the personal notes which are essentially what the Shapeoko wiki is.

FWIW, I started on modifying my Shapeoko 1 to have a tool length sensor — in theory it’s simple, just a homing switch embedded in the machine wasteboard — all you need to know is its position in absolute machine coordinates and one can then reliably send the machine to it to measure after a tool change — software support is built into Carbide Motion and Grbl (see any video of the Nomad doing a tool change).

One of these days I’ll get the basement tidied up enough that I can get the SO1 and a bunch of other abandoned projects re-started.

4 Likes

I’m trying this postprocessor with my S3 and when I try to run it, Carbide Motion doesn’t recognize it as a file. I’ve opened the file after postprocessing and it appears all the information is there. Is there a tag or command that is needed for it to be recognized?

What extension is the post-processor assigning to the file?

.nc Perhaps I need to re download the file and try again?

Joel

.nc is the file extension used by Carbide Create, so it shouldn’t be that.

Open the file in a text editor to verify that it’s G-Code?

Are you sure that file permissions allow you to access the file from Carbide Motion?