What Vbit should use

I’ve manged to put together a coaster project I’d like to cut. It started out as simply me practicing using Carbide Create and now I’d like to actually cut it…the simulation looks OK although depths for the various parts are not as deep as I’d like and I’ll probably work on that aspect a bit more. I know it needs tabs unless I go the double sided tape route I have used previously

At the time I only had the C3d supplied 60 & 90 degree vbits so I used the 90 to set the tool paths. I am pretty sure that the image of the Construction Worker won’t turn out well with the 90 degree bit and I now have 1/8th 30,45, & 60 degree vbits.

What bit(s) do you recommend I use. I am sure there are lots of errors in my toolpaths so feel free to put me right
MenzShed Coaster.c2d (1.9 MB)

Your file has some problems — the geometry overlaps:

which is confusing to the V carving algorithm — it would be better if you had a vector representation which matched a b/w (monochrome) representation which had alternating/nested paths.

@willadams Thanks Will but can you explain what you mean and how does one identify “overlaps”. Is it possible to edit the image or is it easier to hunt out a b& w svg. The image chosen is not specific so I can easily change it but I’d like to understand the issue to avoid it in future if possible

See how the selected geometry is not evenly orange? Where it is darker there is overlapping geometry.

I have a similar issue with the geometry in some situations. So, if I understand the entire image should be a solid orange to indicate all geometry is connected? If not, then using the shift/Ctral key and enlarge the image to highlight to orange? This is the process I use, seems to work, but labor and time consuming. Is there a better way? I have also used the “box” approach to capture the entire image ( and then highlight to orange) and some times this leaves out some orange.If so I revert to the first part of my statement.
Tom

@willadams I see it now. On initial look I did not notice the two different shades. Does that make things a bit hit and miss when selecting and svg image or converting images to svg from colour or is there a way to be sure image is ok? A black and white svg picked off the net might be a conversion of a coloured one and have the same issues. Would it help to copy a watetmarked svg from say Shutterstock and check it before buying the final product?
This is why I am enjoying the cnc journey…its opportunity to keep learning and have others willing to help.

@Rxman My interpretation(probably wrong) is there are two adjacent vectors overlapping each other rather than open vectors causing confusion regarding which side of the line is the boundary of each.?

1 Like

In jpg , is there a software solution to address this? Understanding that one machine path is desirable for routing

Best thing is to get a b/w version of the image.

Or, delete the redundant geometry.

there is an evil thing one can do to clean up weird geometry:

in inkscape, export as a very high resolution PNG (like 10240 pixels wide or more)

and then trace it back into a vector (either with inkscape or CC)

this will immediately take care of all the overlaps/etc since the PNG will be flattened

2 Likes

I tried that but deleting redundant geography removes definition. I took the easy way out and found a simple black and white image to use.
Its all good learning.
It annoys me when hunting for free svg images it turns out many are not free after all…you have to join the site and pay a fee before you get access to free images.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.