When a pocket isn't a pocket

Today I was cutting some .94" thick HDPE of a project of a friend. There are two large rings that were super close to each other. I wanted to do most of the cutting with my 1/4" Amana 51405 but the area between the rings was too tight so I created a bow tie sort of region that I could pocket with a 1/8" bit.

The pocketing was the second operation after some smaller holes. The paths looked OK to me in CC, but in on the machine it cut the upper portion of the bowtie and then the perimeter of the lower portion at each step down. I was watching and paused it before it started to hollow out the middle of the lower portion since it was no longer attached. I removed it and then let the job proceed.

So, it did a pocket at the top and a more of a contour at the bottom before coming back to do the pocket at the bottom.
Seems like a bug. Note that I am still on CC 757.

Pics and file attached.

ThickerPlates.c2d (80 KB)

It appears the “Pockets are cutting as Slots” bug has re-appeared.

Original bug:
https://community.carbide3d.com/t/bug-pocket-operations-cutting-as-slots/53457/15

Another report of its re-appearance:

I think it’s been thrown over the wall to the developers, hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Thanks. I didn’t catch the connection to that other thread. This one was weird since it was half right.

Newby here, but is there a reason you didn’t use tabs?

I didn’t want to clean up the edges afterward.
I used the Xfasten double sided tape and it held really well but I don’t usually coat the entire surface. I didnt know if there was any under that spot so I pushed and removed that chunk.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.