Where have you installed your Shapeoko..?

I have my SO3 XL in our unfinished basement. Actually, my whole wood shop is in our basement :stuck_out_tongue:

Busted…it is. :smiley:

My SO3 I bought around 5 years ago. It served me well, and continues to run great for my friend. But I started and run the Shapeoko FB group, so C3D sent me a Nomad 883, a Pro, and the SO4 to showcase the capabilities and so I can better support the thousands of people there.

The Pro at work I sweet talked the powers that be to get one for the shop. It has actually been super helpful and between 3 jobs has made it’s cost 3 times over. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, what does your work entail? I’m considering endeavoring to convince the powers that be to buy one for work.

1 Like

I work at the University of Utah School of Medicine Machine Shop. We’re kind of a low-budget catch-all for doctors, students, and professors. One day we’re replicating a surgery tool out of 316 stainless on the mill. Another day laser cutting some acrylic. Another project we’ll be 3D printing. And on some lucky days I’m running the SOPro to replicate a MRI safe arm board for pediatric imaging that broke or a concrete mold part for a professor.

6 Likes

Sounds like a dream job!

Josh describes himself as an “influencer”… even though Josh introduces the idea and denies it in the same breath, please don’t follow that personal path, Brian :wink:

edit I despise the term “influencer”, so this is just my opinion.

2 Likes

Haha even if he was on the Instagram with duckface and taking twerking selfies, who am I to judge?

4 Likes

I’m not big on the term “influencer” either, thus my quotation marks. I’d rather call myself an enabler or encourager. I encourage people to jump in and do it, and hopefully enable them with sage advise from my mistakes. :smiley:

But in reality, I encourage bad ideas in the name of fun. :wink:

4 Likes

Hehe! Well, you would be you - as good a judge as any, I’m sure.

I’m overly sensitive to the idea of influencers (influenzas) but I’m working on developing a level of tolerance (more accurately indifference). I’ll get there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also don’t encourage being an “influencer”. Thus far I’ve made well below minimum wage. But I’ve had a lot of fun doing it.

I didn’t mean any offence. I had no idea who you were when you wrote that (and still don’t) so it sounded odd.

3 Likes

I’m with you. When you figure out how to get there, let me know. :slight_smile:

I also don’t care to be known. I just mentioned it in the context of disclosure as to why I’ve been surrounded by so many machines. Otherwise, I enjoy anonymity.

But we digress… back to the topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the most USELESS topic I have ever read on this forum!

1 Like

Made me smile a little. Took away, briefly, the intensity of hooking up my new water cooled spindle.

1 Like

Never mind, you’ll get over it.

1 Like

I’m just waiting on the contractor to finish the final stage of the build of my 20’x30’ dream shop. Then electrical, water, HVAC. After that, it becomes home to my Shark SD100, SO3 standard with XXL upgrade (have upgrade, need space), a SOXXL that is still in its shipping box & has been following me around the country), and enough miscellaneous parts to attempt creating a Frankinshap setup.

3 Likes

In my attached 2-car garage with all my other woodworking tools. The wife actually wanted to park cars in that structure – can you imagine?

2 Likes

@sjj47 I’ve heard that shops can be used for that sort of thing. Never tried it though.

1 Like

Ha. I have the opposite problem, living in Scottsdale, Arizona. I have a 3 1/2 car garage. I walled off the 1 1/2 side, insulated the bejesus out of the walls/ceiling, and installed a Mitsubishi mini-split. Keeps my workshop at 76 degrees even when it’s 115+ outside.

2 Likes