Where have you installed your Shapeoko..?

Never mind, you’ll get over it.

1 Like

I’m just waiting on the contractor to finish the final stage of the build of my 20’x30’ dream shop. Then electrical, water, HVAC. After that, it becomes home to my Shark SD100, SO3 standard with XXL upgrade (have upgrade, need space), a SOXXL that is still in its shipping box & has been following me around the country), and enough miscellaneous parts to attempt creating a Frankinshap setup.

3 Likes

In my attached 2-car garage with all my other woodworking tools. The wife actually wanted to park cars in that structure – can you imagine?

2 Likes

@sjj47 I’ve heard that shops can be used for that sort of thing. Never tried it though.

1 Like

Ha. I have the opposite problem, living in Scottsdale, Arizona. I have a 3 1/2 car garage. I walled off the 1 1/2 side, insulated the bejesus out of the walls/ceiling, and installed a Mitsubishi mini-split. Keeps my workshop at 76 degrees even when it’s 115+ outside.

2 Likes

I’m really impressed with the variety of responses this thread has generated - including a few ‘branches’ :rofl:.

It’s nice some of you have taken the time to respond, but there must be other more bizarre locations out there, surely!

We moved into a new house a year ago and have been renovating, which meant I needed somewhere to keep my tools close while working at the house, as it’s a long 30m walk to the 20 X 6m garage… so I’ve ‘acquired’ one of the spare bedrooms for now…just so happens I call it the workshop …and my new Pro fits nicely into the middle of it! :rofl:

Sadly this is temporary until I replace the garage roof then the real shop build begins!

1 Like

In my garage. Used an old dining table that I secured to the wall because it wasn’t stable enough. It’s made from birch wood and it’s thick and heavy as f, but the legs are some kind of metal pipe and makes it a bit wobbly. By securing it to the wall made it super stable and I’m really happy about that.

It should be a warm place, but I’ll have to make sure. Winters can be cold in this area (eastern Finland) so I have an extra heater in case it gets something like under -30°C. Probably won’t be using my Shapeoko (Pro XL) if it will. Just moved in so I haven’t used that space before. I’m building my first wood working shop in there.

I will make an enclosure for the machine because I’d like to keep all the dust etc at minimum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Mine is in the unfinished basement. I have the Shapeoko 3 XL. I think I may need to start a project to put a little sound proofing in the ceiling though. This happens to be right under one of the bedrooms and near another. Kids are usually pretty good about it but the noise does tend to bother them from time to time if I have some longer runs to do. I figured I may as well include a photo too. It is a little messier than I usually keep it but honestly not that far off.

3 Likes

I’m really quite envious of those of you with basements/cellars!

Living in a relatively modern (early-1980s) house, basements are not the norm, but they would offer so much more utility space. Fortunately, my kids have long since moved out and have children of their own, so disturbing them wouldn’t be an issue. My wife, on the other hand, wouldn’t be too impressed with the noise, :rofl: :rofl: so I’ve banished myself into the shed!

So, what about all you guys ‘n’ gals with the new Shapeoko 4’s?

Yeah I am very lucky. We built our house 10 years ago and up here in Canada basements are still very common. Most houses have them. Our basement is basically one large unfinished room at the moment so it is awesome. Beam construction too so no teleposts in any open area. I am going to have to start closing this off some in the near future but am still lucky enough that I can have about 800 square feet for the workshop.

Kids are not really bothered much since it is a low drone by the time the noise gets to them but I can still understand the annoyance when it goes on for hours. I hope you have a nice shed with enough room to have the tools you want in there.

1 Like

This what you call a tinkerer’s day and nightmare. My 3 car garage just ain’t big enough so I’ve gots sell some tools. Well lots of tools. Vv

Tool are like books — the correct translation of, “Too many books”, is, "Not enough bookshelves — for that case on tools the solution is a larger workshop.

My machines are in the basement — Pro and XL here at home in the middle of the finished part of the basement (I do a lot of vacuuming to clean up), SO3 Standard on a rolling stand in my father-in-law’s basement shop for when I visit.

5 Likes

And how many books?

Librarything currently says I only need another 278 to get to a nice round 1,000…

Nowhere near enough bookshelves, I need some sort of machine that could help make me some.

3 Likes

We still have boxes of books which haven’t been unpacked since we moved up here over two decades ago.

Making progress since the kids moved out though — got all my J.R.R. Tolkien hardcovers on a shelf of their own:

(almost — The Road Goes Ever On is just slightly too tall for that shelf, and the odd-sized books: Mr Bliss, Smith of Wootton Major, and Bilbo’s Last Song don’t quite fit in w/ the larger works, and I’ve got a copy of The Art of The Lord of the Rings in a slipcase on order so that it will match the others, see: Over 4 decades of collecting J.R.R. Tolkien's writings : tolkienbooks )

Making more bookshelves or some sort of book storage system has been something I’ve wanted to do for a long while now.

4 Likes

I have something like 400 books on Audible, so that makes it easier for storage. :wink:
But sometimes it is just so much more satisfying reading a paper copy! Especially classics!
And I love your Tolkien collection! Great taste!

1 Like

Yeah, I have almost all of those on Kindle as well, and a couple hundred more besides — the electronic copies are convenient, but not quite as visceral and enjoyable.

2 Likes