Why I chose Shapeoko

Welcome to Carbide3D Thierry Oerther…
jbc

That’s for this informative post.

I don’t have any hardware right now, but I do want to get into this eventually. My main interest would be remote car / robotic arm control and sensor interface. I want to assemble a sensor suite for ambient condition monitoring (temperature, humidity, VOC, CO2, O2, Geiger counter, dust). I don’t think spectrometer sensors quite where I want them to be yet in terms of cost and function, but maybe in a few years time.

Vacuum collection hose mount on the Z axis
So bit by bit during the holiday season I have been perfecting my new Pro XXL setup. :slight_smile:
The lower part of the cabinet is mostly finished. I need to put the top on it. One of the tasks is to make sure the vacuum system can move freely around the top of the cabinet without restriction. I temporally mounted the hose along a horizontally mounted large F clamp that simulate the top of the to be cabinet. I installed the house and ran it about the table. A height of 26 - 27" will work fine, the hose can get around and bypass itself without getting caught up on itself. However the hose kept hanging up on the router, Z axis stepper motor, drag chain … I played around a bit and in came up with a very simple solution. I routed out 2 pieces of scrap 5/8 MDF to make a hose holder. It seems to work quite well, very simple. and does not take up much head height. The hose hole is rounded over on both sides to allow the hose more room to bend around and move more freely.
Tip: Make sure you route the 1/2 inch radius before cutting the tabs so you have more material to clamp it down with. It slips over the the stepper motor, it is cut tight and then slightly sanded for a tight fit, the body of the stepper is just slightly larger then the end cap. the top layer is capped and the bottom is sanded out a bit more to fit the slightly larger body. round off the top ends and glue them together, or not
Not the best, just simple and works, KISS,I just need to paint it black now :slight_smile:
Anyhow here are the pics :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Welcome to the place where standing next to a machine for nearly 5 hours seems to pass in seconds :slight_smile: - Also i would like to point out you did not choose Shapeoko - She chose you lol

7 Likes

There was a lot of hype around the onefinity, it may be a good machine but now that they are rolling out machines they are experiencing issues just like everyone else. I like the transition of the Carbide team to introduce better and more ridged machines. My Shapeoko3 standard with zplus suites me just fine.

1 Like

They must be offering to pay people to put out YouTube videos to create hype (offering incentives of some kind). The number of really basic/boring onefinity videos is ridiculous.

There was a video out there yesterday of a guy using his onefinity to cut oramask on a tile. Not only was it awful, but the quality of the cut was terrible. However he still posted it anyway.

Btw - talking about paying people to do stuff, I just loved that they gave JohnnyBuilds (another YouTuber with 500k subscribers) a pre-release version of the new really expensive xcarve pro ($10,000) in December and by September (9 months later), he shows that he has ditched that to go Avid (the guys at inventables must have been so annoyed)

Avid seems to have recently decided to join in on the tactic of sending free machines for big youtubers. I have seen a lot of people unwrapping Avid’s lately.

Shill videos on youtube are increasing in number and it’s starting to get a bit tiring to be honest. A 20-30 minute advertisement people are willingly watching in some cases. I guess not everyone can be independent like AvE or Project Farm.

Michael:

I also appreciate Carbide3d developing better and more ridged machines not to mention the features to their free software packages. And to see what users are doing with the new machines.

It was refreshing to read this: ‘My Shapeoko3 standard with zplus suites me just fine.’

I find my Shapeoko 3 XL with Zplus fits my needs.

Bill

1 Like

All is fair in Love, War and I guess Advertising. Giving your product away is not new. When I was a kid going to church, without air conditioning, they gave away fans with Jesus’s picture on one side and the name of a local funeral home on t he other side. Ever get a pen at the bank with their name on it? Ever watch NASCAR with products printed all over their cars. Ever open a magazine to find it mostly filled with advertising. It may be annoying to see the youtube videos but you dont have to watch them. The OneInfinity and Xcarve are direct competitors for c3d and depending who you are talking to each one is the best. Now they cannot be the best because obviously c3d is the best. As Patrick Swayze said in the movie RoadHouse “Opinions Vary”.

My point is it is called free enterprise. C3D has given away machines to some of its power users and to some of its employees that make videos. Those people that bought a OneInfinity or an Xcarve think they made the correct decision after they paid for their machines.

My Shapeoko 3 with HDZ has been the best machine I ever had and that includes a Shark I had before the Shapeoko. I am quite happy even I do not have the latest and greatest like a Pro or HDM.

My last point is try to be happy with what you got. The grass always looks greener on the other side but when you get to the other side it is pretty much the same. Keep Machining and Carry On

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.