Why is this happening with my bitsetter!?

I want to preface this. I am using a dog river tools touch probe (never had one issue with it and I am using a bit setter created by an etsy seller - it does everthing that a carbide create bit setter would do from my understanding - but nonetheless, here we go.

After I initialize the machine via the button in carbide motion it sends it to the front center position of the waste board and cues me to change a tool, I hit resume (cause my tool is already installed) then it goes to the bit probe setter and does it’s thing. I haven’t even established my xy(z) with my probe. (Which I thought I’d be doing first??)

And THIS is happening currently with ONLY one tool in the g code. There are no other tools in this file, just a 1/4 inch compression bit.

I will also say, this same exact thing happens EVERY SINGLE TIME after I initialize the machine WITH OR WITHOUT multiple tools in g codes.

SO, I digress. After that, I’ll do my probe of (via the corner option) which does xyz, right? Then, I put the probe away and then it comes right back to the front of the machine to cue me for (insert x tool here), obviously the tool I want is already in the machine since the beginning. Then it proceeds to go and do it’s thing with the bit setter again!?

Then it comes back to front and center where I can then put on my dust boot, etc. and where it tells me to turn on the spindle to X number of RPMS and THEN it’s ready to do the cut.

So what’s the correct process here? Am I completely missing something?

My understanding is that Carbide Motion verifies the tool length at any point where the control has been yielded to the user, so as to attempt to guard against tool changes made w/o using the interface.

1 Like

The process looks correct to me.

It can be useful to think of the BitSetter as a just an ordinary BitZero attached to a fix bit of stock that never changes its position from the time you then the machine on to when you turn it off. The “BitSetter” phase is setting the Z-zero to that fixed bit of stock.

In the intialization phase, it is setting this “machine Z-zero” for you. To do that, it needs a tool, which it asks you for.

After that, you set up the second Z-zero - the “stock Z-zero”, either manually with paper or with a BitZero.

When you formally change a tool, the BitSetter routine effectively calculates a new “machine-Z-zero” as the difference between the current one and the last one, and then it can figure out when the “stock-Z-zero” should effectively be with the different length tool.

At no time is it measuring a tool. Just setting Z-zeros for two different bits of stock - a fixed-position one, and a job-specific one.

With those sorts of things loosely in mind:

It is setting machine-Z for you so your stock-Z makes sense in case of tool changes.

When you initialize the machine, you haven’t loaded a file. So the notion of how many tools are in the job you intend to run is unknown. It’s assuming you will be changing tools, and sets things up accordingly.

It’s asking you for the first specific tool in the job. It doesn’t know what was in there as part of machine initialization. Plus, you might want to change a blunt 1/4" compression bit for a sharp 1/4" compression bit.
The rules about changing tools within a job appear to be:

1. At the start of the job, explicitly make sure the right tool is in there.
  2. When within a job, if the tool number changes to a different number, ask for a new tool
  3. When within a job, if the tool number changes to the same number, keep going.
4 Likes

Let’s say I want to use a bowl bit or even a 3/4 inch straight bit to hog out the material of say, a bowl or catch tray I’m making instead of using my 1/4 inch compression cutter. Being that the bowl bit or straight bit can remove more material faster and often times give a nice finish like that of the bowl bit.

How would I do that if the machine upon initializing wants to automatically check the tool with the bit setter before even establishing anything with the probe? - Not to mention I wouldn’t even be able to use the bit setter with either the bowl bit or straight it, now that I think about it.

Hmmm… I’m trying to understand the process here.

Example: I’d like to make a catch tray or bowl. So: Use a bit like bowl or straight bit. Then tool change to the compression bit to do another pass to clean up any fuzzies, OR I could just sand, Then finish off with the compression to cut out the profile of the bowl or tray.

That’s how I see it in my head but then I’m also now questioning (and this might sound dumb to most of you - but I’m still learning) How do I even establish XY to the stock that I’m cutting if touch probes around really made for the bit I’d like to start with like the bowl bit (since it’s rounded) or even the straight 3/4" bit? Let alone also trying to not have the bit setter cue for the tool it has no way of checking.

I hope I’m making my questions clear enough.

If you wish to use a tool which has geometry which won’t work w/ the BitSetter, disable the BitSetter, then rehome, use the tool, then once done, enable the BitSetter and re-initialize the machine.

I think it’s time.
In my opinion, the workflow should be changed such that the BitSetter is only a part of things after Z-zero has been set and only when one is planning on using multiple tools.
(Edited for conciseness)

12 Likes

Can you specify what it is about the initialization process that is preventing you doing this. Is it just that it takes time and makes you put a tool in the machine and you don’t understand why and don’t want it to do it (or something of this kind)?

If you use the BitSetter, it will do this. It does this “for reasons”. If you leave it at that, then you are free to do what you like after the initialization has completed. The only other rule you need to do adhere to is only ever changing the tool when prompted. You can request a prompt with the change tool button.

If its annoying and you can’t get past the “why does it do this” part, then as Will says, you can disable the BitSetter for those jobs where it’s perplexing.

(edit: re-reading this it sounded a tad preachy… not intended. I’m actually one of the people who can’t get past behaviours in machinery that I don’t understand. So I’m with you there :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Just wanted to add, since I feel it might be coming…

To disable the BitSetter:
When you turn on the machine and open Carbide Motion, Connect but don’t Initialize/Home - go into Settings>Options then uncheck the “Enabled” box under BitSetter.

2 Likes

and whenever you enable or disable the BitSetter, be sure to (re)set your zeroes afterwards. Bad things will happen if you don’t.

4 Likes

I second this motion.

I’ve been advocating for a while, as others before me, for a “button” to get CM out of Beginner’s Mode.

The solution most of us take is to use the “Exit” button and find another gcode sender.

4 Likes

You have my vote…………

2 Likes

All that matters…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.