Workpiece holding issue possibly?

After a successful start to the evening I think I got carried away​:rofl::rofl: and found that having a nice big kill switch is super super useful.

Now I’ve tried gorilla double sided tape, painter’s tape and super glue and everytime I end up with this scenario on the 3rd pass. Now I’m thinking it’s probably my work holding as the material is 23mm thick.

If it is than what options do I have please? I have the shapeoko 3 track kit installed and use this to hold my spoiler board.

Any help or useful pointers please.

Danny.

Belt and suspenders, use the painters tape with CA glue then add some lateral support on the sides away from the path of the endmill to stop sideways motion.

2 Likes

Most likely it’s lost steps — slotting is hard, add geometry and cut as a pocket as much as you can to avoid this. See: Adding geometry to cut as a pocket with a finishing pass

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

I did wonder if the amount of contact with the endmill was causing too much friction and causing it to bite, ripping it from it place. Also with the added sideways forces possibly coming loose eventually.

I shall try these new methods later today.

Just need a good dust shoe now, such a lack of in the uk.

2 Likes

There are a number of commercial options, but making one has been something of a right of passage for a long while — I documented one design process ages ago at: https://forum.shapeoko.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3658

Carbide 3D is supposed to have a dust shoe in development (it was mentioned in a couple of support tickets), but no idea on what it will be like or when it might be released.

2 Likes

Danny, this scenario looks all too familiar to me! Check out my post from last evening for a simple fix to remedy this problem.
Don
Simple work holding jig

1 Like

Had the same issue. My waste board was not flat! I use blue painters tape and and good quality super glue. I use a heavy weight on the part and let it cure for 30 min just to be safe. That was with my old zentool-cnc what a peace of junk! My 3D is flat and I have no issues. Make sure the surface your on is flat, that can cause the unevenness.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.