Wrench Holder with Tool Change Drop Zone

I didn’t need the tool storage but I have chased bits across the floor on occasion when they dropped free of the collet. My first thought after seeing your solution was a tuna can with foam packing in the bottom. But then I remembered I have this CNC. So a simple box made from two layers of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood with the aforementioned foam packing. I did give it some depth so when the bit hits the foam it stays in the box.

Bill

5 Likes

On my revision I also deepened the pocket as I found the tool plus collet could bounce out on the first version. Looks like yours will be even better for keeping captive.

just saw and read this…very nice layout. It appears you have an articulating/swivel mount. Is that holding the laptop and the tool cradle? Do you swing it around to use and back to get out of your way?
Great stuff!!

Howdy, John. Yes, I move everything over the wasteboard when I turn it all off and swing it out for use. You can tighten or loosen the slip joints to your liking. I’ve had to snug all the connections tight over time, but it still functions perfectly. I’ve even moved to a laptop from my tablet (and tied that computer to the shelf for stability.)

The mount is clamped onto my table, but when I move things around this summer, I’ll most likely make it permanent.