XXL Upgrade - Unboxing and Construction

Nice looking work Dustin! I like the T-Track idea!

Extended my original table, disassembled my SO3 and started to assemble the XXL. I wasnā€™t digging the bit of flex at the center of the waste board so I slid a piece of 1x4 under the center. I then adjusted and leveled around the 1x4. New Z plate is on and will start to reassemble everything tonight.

2 Likes

Hey Dustin, where did you get the 2" vacuum hose? Iā€™ve been looking for something like that, not as stiff as typical shopvac hose, but not super heavy? Iā€™ve bought a couple different types, but none so far has worked as well as Iā€™d like.

Thanks,

Dan

Amazon. Here is a link -

1 Like

Thanks, just orderedā€¦then realized I ordered that same hose a few months ago and returned itšŸ˜’ It felt too heavy and took a lot of pressure to stretch out, does it relax a little with time? The one I had that I returned felt like it would make the belts on my XXL slip before it stretched. With Prime Iā€™ll get it tomorrow, maybe it deserves a second look?

Thanks,

Dan

Hey Dan,

If that hose doesnā€™t work for you, I have been extremely happy with this one:
http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-2-1-2-expandable-shop-vacuum-hose-kit
I went into the local Rockler store and played with all the hoses they carried, and this one has the best flex; much better than the Shop-Vac brand that I originally purchased.

1 Like

I have had no problems with it. It is pretty relaxed. I have mine coming in from the top of my enclosure, so the weight of the hose actually is supported by the enclosure. I jut made sure there was enough slack so it can reach everywhere on the table.

Got my XXL upgrade up and running today. Everything went pretty smooth. Had to extend the limit switch wires and the right Y cable. They really should be longer! Tweaked the homing speed and ran a test piece. Right on the money!

Now on to the new enclosure!

3 Likes

New hose arrived today. I looked back through my order history and the only difference between this hose and the one I previously ordered is length(this one is 20ā€™ and other was 10ā€™). However this is a different hose, much more stretchy, lighter and less rigid (it doesnā€™t try itā€™s best to recoil). Same brand and everything, not sure why this one is better, but Iā€™m pleasantly surprised. This will work out good I think. Thanks for the info!!!

Dan

2 Likes

Worked all weekend finishing everything up. Installed the light today and Iā€™ll paint the outside ā€¦some day!
Overall a smooth upgrade!

1 Like

Looks good. A couple suggestions - Add access doors on the sides, or a removable panel. I am in the midst of replacing my left Y motor and am glad I put the side door access on so i can get to the sides of the machine. And Iā€™d recommend running the router power cord out to the right away from the rest of the wiring to reduce the chance of the dreaded EMI.

1 Like

Very nice Bill,I like the white inside aswell.

1 Like

Good idea Dustin. I thought about the side access doors but of course was in a hurry to get back up and running again. I think I will take some time within the next two weekends to cut them in with a jig saw.
I did mount my controller on the outside of the enclosure. Never had a problem with my power cord running with the rest of the cables. In fact I had them bundled together on my other table before the upgrade. But you know what they sayā€¦never say never!

Thank you Mark. I have to say it was painful waiting for two coats of paint to dry before being able to finish the enclosureā€¦lol. I just figured in the long run it would be better for light reflection.

Well worth the wait :slight_smile:

1 Like