Y axis off by about 5mm

I have been having this issue for over a year (maybe since new?) but it never really was a problem until now. Running a XXL and all my work starts from the front left corner. I line up the bit with the front left corner and then zero the offsets. Every project I run ends up being shifted towards the back by about 5mm.

Using VCarve Desktop 9.5

Any thoughts?

Do you have a datum point set?

Post the .crv file, generated G-Code, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

—UPDATED— So, not sure if I found the problem but since I have the fancy dancy touch probe, I used it. My cuts are now lined up perfectly. So either I have some other little issue of my dang eyes are worse than I thought and I am not lining up the bit to the corner of my work piece.

For this example, I cut a piece of wood exactly 5" x 5". It is positioned at the front left corner of the machine using 4 Oops clamps. In VCarve, my job size is X=5" and Y=5" and Z=.25".

The XY Datum position is set to the lower left and the offsets are set to zero. In Vcarve, I created a .1" circle and a 1" square and centered both using the centering tool. I created a profile toolpath selecting the cut to be on the lines using a #111 ball nose (.0625) end mill.

I initialized the machine and positioned the bit at the front left corner of the workpiece. In Carbide Motion, I selected “Set Zero” and then “Zero All”. At this point, the xyz points all indicate zero.

Below is a download link to the gcode file and the crv file. Not sure if I provided all the info needed. Let me know if there is anything else that would help.

https://personal.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8e6a6a8f5e5e6ea76f9f

Ok, I think I found my problem. I was positioning the bit on top of the corner of the workpiece. I think I should have been on the outside corner of the workpiece.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.