Y Axis seems to be not level

I recently started using my Shapeoko Pro XXL more and noticed that my Y axis seems to be out of level. The included pictures are of a part that I made and should be competely flat on the bottom, I tried looking through other post but wasnt able to find any really clear answers, but maybe I just wasn’t looking close enough. Thanks in advance for the help!

Not sure if I did the picture thing right but we will find out

2 Likes

Start by checking the machine mechanically — if there’s nothing obvious to address, then try tramming the MDF slats to be in plane w/ the machine motion.

1 Like

When you say mechanically, do you mean like loose screws and things like that? I checked to make sure everything was tight, I was trying to avoid planing down all of the waste boards but I did consider that as an option.

1 Like

Have you surfaced (AKA leveled) you wasteboard?

4 Likes

It is very possible that I just missed that part in the instructions, is that recommended when you put your machine together?

2 Likes

Yes, after you spend your time making sure everything is square and and in good mechanical order, run a surfacing pass on your spoil board to define the XY plane of the machine. After that you occasionally resurface the spoil board to deal with blemishes or seasonal distortion of the MDF due to humidity. Before I switched to HDPE for my spoil board I would seal the MDF with a couple of coats of shellac cut with alcohol (for better penetration) on all sides. This helped with the humidity issues I have in the summer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.