Z axis plunge too deep because hitting top before starting

I know this problem has already been talked about.
I just ruined a guitar neck because the router offsetted too deep by 2mm…
Fusion360 generated a Z53 before starting but has I use very big stock, the max I could go with this particular bit and stock setting was around Z49~Z50… It always change depending of my zero and the length of the bit…
Could we had a special function into CM that at least check if your GCode will go out of limit before starting? It’s probably the 5th time it happen to me, was long before I understand the problem.
Here is another thread about this problem: Stop on hitting Z-limit switch while retracting?

Sounds like a problem with the post processor or your retract height.
Try this post processor.
https://a360.co/2PPwJrT

1 Like

The post processor will not change anything here… If I had zeroed lower with the same code, I would have no problem. But I cannot here as my stock is high.
It’s just a matter of checking if your GCode will go over the Z limit…
Maybe someone has a suggestion for a control soft doing this checkup?

Sure it will.
Can you share the first part of gcode? Twenty lines or so.

:slight_smile:
The Z53 is the culprit

%

(1001)
(T1 D=6.35 CR=3.175 - ZMIN=0 - ball end mill)
G90
G17
G21
G28 G91 Z0
G90

(Scallop1)
T1 M6
S20000 M3
G54
G0 X-351.87 Y80.074
Z53
Z20.77
G1 Z19.279 F889
Y80.066 Z19.18
X-351.869 Y80.043 Z19.084
X-351.868 Y80.006 Z18.993

1 Like

I see. Why are you retracting so far?
Do you have G28 set? (Most common reason for what you’re seeing)
Can you share the Fusion file?

Because in my scallop tollpath, Fusion, by default, put 10mm retract height more to the feed height (5mm). So this 15mm more is too high. I just have to put 5mm retract height and everything works fine!
BUT, I forgot sometime… That is were I would like CM to tell me I’m off limit in my GCode…

If you set up on the machine profile and 360 it will alert your g-code is out range.

That sounds interesting, how does one do that?

Didn’t know you could setup a machine in Fusion, just saw this after your post. Interesting… But still, I think, it could help, but setting a 1/4 diam 3" long bit in the router manualy, the bit is not always on the same height, so again, your Z0 will change from time to time, bit to bit, so the GCode sender is the one who knows all the height param and interac with the Shapeoko and the limit switch…
Or maybe there is something I didn’t see in Fusion!

1 Like

You’re right. I miss read your post. This said, machine configuration is incredibly helpful.

Yes it seems! I’ll check this up. Thanks. As you said it seems very helpful! :slight_smile:

I miss read your post. Fusion360’s machine configuration will help solve your problem. Sorry for the confusion

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.