Z axis zero and retract height

Newbie here: when trying to crave lettering, the bit runs through the letter as it moves to the next letter. It appears my retract height is off. I set my Z axis zero from bottom of stock. Should I be setting it from top of stock and set the retract height to 5mm?

It shouldn’t matter if you set your stock thickness correctly.

To avoid having to accurately specify the stock thickness, you can set Z Zero to top of stock instead. In that case, you would need to set stock thickness accurately only if you have cuts that go down to the waste-board.

Setting Z Zero to either top-of-stock or to wasteboard in theory doesn’t matter, if you accately set stock thickness. In practice, it’s easier to do ‘carvings’ using top-of-stock, and through-cuts using waste-board.

See:

does the machine lose steps on retract? (usually this is accompanied by a horrible noise).

If you can’t find anything obvious which causes this, please send a .c2d file, generated G-code, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine and we will do our best to puzzle this out w/ you.

Thank you. I’m going to through and run the program Wednesday.

Thank you. I will run the project Wednesday and document the steps I’ve taken to see if it occurs again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.