Z-Belt loose after several hours of

Near the end of my spoil board hole boring, I noticed that several holes did not bore more than 0.25" from the top.

During the CNC operation, I touch the Z belt, LEFT side and noticed that it was really loose as compared to the RIGHT side. As the Z axis move further down it’s travel that’s when the left side of the belt was loose. As the Z axis move upward, the left side of the belt got taut.

Prior to all this I removed the Z belt to inspect it for a bad tooth or loose screws, etc. My reason for this inspection was I could “SOMETIMES” hear a clicking sound and the bottom of the Z axis travel. My inspection did not reveal anything out of the ordinary so I reinstalled and pressed on.

Today, I checked the Z belt tension and it was taut. Even at the bottom of the Z axis travel, both the left and right were taut.

I am confused … could it be that after performing more than 100 holes, the Z belt stretched from operation heat?

Most likely the problem is that the bolt vibrated loose — some folks have added a jam nut (or pair of them) to it, others have used a bit of threadlock — the belts have a very wide operating temperature range.

What bolt? The bolt where the 2 bearings and spacer connect to the Z belt?

I checked that and its tight.

The strange thing is last nite the left side of tge belt was loose in the down travel. This morning its tight (taut) and I didn’t do anything.

Stump!!!

The M4 Z-axis tension bolt.

Please check how your belt runs — is your Z-axis pulley orientation different or the same as the X-axis?

Here’s a pic …

Motor pulleys — please look at the carriage and how the pulleys are mounted on the X-axis and Z-axis motors.

Not sure I understand … This was assembled at the factory.

All I did based on the above pic was put one side of the belt on the motor pulley and the other side of the belt on the dual sandwich bearings.

I then lightly fastened the dual bearings to the plate and with the Z axis at its max downward travel, I tighten up the hex screw tensioner till the belt is taut. Followed by fully tightening the dual bearing nut and bolt.

We may have made a mistake at the factory (we’re human, not perfect). Please take a photo which shows how the pulleys on the X-axis and Z-axis motors are arranged, or check them against the photos in the assembly instructions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.