Z-depth dropping mid-job

Aaaaaaand game over. Put the machine back together and now it’s dead.

I guess I don’t have to keep pounding my head against the wall troubleshooting anymore. Silver lining?

We’ve got your photos on the support queue and will get this worked out w/ you as quickly as we can.

I wish C3D had a lounge bar I could wait in. I don’t have any maker friends to commiserate with and if ever I needed a long island iced tea, it’s today.

2 Likes

Has this problem been fixed? I am having a similar problem.

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work out how to address this in your case.

1 Like

Nope, had to get a new machine, still no idea what the problem was and not sure if I’ll ever find out. If you figure out what’s wrong with yours, I’d love to hear what the problem is/was. I’m kind of paranoid now, even with the new machine, and unfortunately I haven’t hadn’t much time for machining lately so I suspect it’ll be a while before I can put my mind at ease.

With any luck, your issue is something basic and easily found/fixed, like an endmill slipping because of a loose collet, or a z-axis in need of lubrication - those are the most common answers I came across when trying to figure out my issue.

While the machines are complex in all their interactions, if you break things down, each axis individually is pretty straight-forward:

• the controller receives G-code commands, Grbl interprets them, and then causes the stepper driver chips to send electrical impulses to the motors — possible failures: wrong toolpath, wrong post-processor, Grbl bug, failed stepper driver
  • the motor receives the electrical impulses through the wing, causing it to rotate the shaft — possible failures: wiring has intermittent fault, connector not secure or damaged — the motors themselves almost never go bad
  • the rotation of the shaft causes a pulley or lead-screw or ball-screw to rotate — possible failures: pulley set screw loose, screw loose in coupler, broken coupler, inadequate lubrication of ball-screw causes sufficient friction to cause lost steps
  • the rotation of the pulley or screw causes the carriage or gantry to move — possible failures: bad belt, wrong belt tension, poorly adjusted V-wheels (too loose or too tight), linear rails not properly lubricated
  • mechanical issue prevents movement — possible causes: loose screw/bolt (esp. check all on the rails), dust hose, clamp, loose object in machine working area

All of the above should be covered in the docs:

if you have a problem which you can’t diagnose, please let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

1 Like

I’m using MeshCAM, and at the very end of the finishing tool path, it will outline certain areas really deep. Same locations on parts that have been milled successfully in the past. 3 of the parts have the same failures in the same locations.

I’m in touch with support and my machine is currently disassembled. I’ll let you know what happens.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.