Z not retracting at "Run"

Thanks for all the input in this community.
I am having an issue all of a sudden with XXL.
I might have left my brain in a sawdust pile somewhere, I know you can’t help with that. This is probably very easy fix, something I’m forgetting… I load a file, it’s a wood sign I’m making. I load the file and zero out etc to ready for cutting, the Z isn’t retracting before the x and y start moving, it always retracts the 6million before other axis move in fact the Z plunges about 1-2 mm and drags through the work piece and then starts its normal cutting routine. This has happened about 8 times. I’m missing something obvious, but scratching my now hairless head. I’ve checked the belt, sprockets etc, screws and I’m lost. Any pointers for how to correct this. Thanks.

Does the Z axis home ok?
What are you using to generate the gcode? Do you have a safety height?

2 Likes

You sir are a genious!
I knew it had to be obvious, just not me I suppose.
I’m glad you asked about the safety height, man i can’t believe that, I know that I know that I know I set that to 3mm, and yet it shows 000. I will now search for my brain in that dust pile. Thank you for your amazing fast response, I wasn’t expecting that to happen. I went back down to look it over again, it never dawned on me to look at the Carbide Create program. Sigh! Time for a nap I suppose. Cheers, Andrew

Possible causes of this problem:

• zero set as safety/retract height
  • origin set to surface of wasteboard in file, but zero set to surface of stock on machine

Thanks Will, both you and Neil F nailed it on the head. This is a lesson learned, it was the safety height reset to zero. I’ve had this happen before on other projects, but somehow caught the problem before saving gcode. I think it must be a bug in program as it seems to change in the background, can’t tell you why, but it’s something that I will need to the k every time from now on before saving.
Anyways thanks to both of you for that great observation, that’s great. Have a good week. Andrew

3 Likes

Yes, it is a bug. I haven’t been able to figure out exactly what steps causes it to occur, but I have experienced it on multiple occasions with various versions of Carbide Create. For every time except for the latest event, I had been lucky enough to catch it before using the gcode. I have never set the retract height to zero, but somehow it is set to zero once in a blue moon on me.

A fix on an intermittent bug will not be forthcoming any time soon unless someone figures out the exact steps to cause it to happen. In the meantime, a warning should be given when either saving gcode or sending it to Carbide Motion that the current retract height is set to zero.

Thank you for the reassurance that I haven’t gone looney yet. My wife reminds me from time to time that I have but I brush it off, but I honestly can say that I really thought I was losing it! Last weekend I made a surprise gift (sign) for a family member and literally an hour before they arrived I was running the final cut out of it and, boom… you guessed it…straight through the middle. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was a tad more then upset, now faced with redoing the project before their arrival. I love your suggestion about the pressure warning, that just makes way to much sense! I hope that C3D incorporates that idea into their next updates/fixes. Awesome idea! Thanks once again Andrew

PSA: Use a gcode viewer before every job and/or use a sender that shows a preview.

2 Likes

Add me to the list of victims haunted by this software ghost/glitch. Switching to MeshCAM with hope that we truly do get what we pay for? Standby for my future update…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.