Z-Plus Upgrade, homing failing

Hello team!

Working on finishing up my XL Z-Plus upgrade, and having issues initializing. I’ve checked in Carbide Motion that it is correctly recognizing the Z, X, & Y Proximity switches, and it does activate with the metal “peg,” though I had to lower the Z limit switch to its lowest to get it to activate.

When I initialize, the Z-axis moves DOWN and eventually complains about not successfully initializing. Any help would be appreciated!

Video of init:
Video of it initializing.
Carbide Motion:

Turn off the machine and connect, before you initialize go to settings in the top right and make sure the Z-Plus option is selected.

If not select the Z-Plus, and send config to machine, and then initialize.

2 Likes

If the machine still moves down with the correct configuration, then the problem is likely the wiring. The connectors should all be consistent and the wiring extensions straight through. See:

http://www.pcbheaven.com/exppages/Reuse_and-or_extend_the_Molex_connectors/

Mumbles to myself: “I’m not a moron, I’m sure I checked that…” Checks… “Well… shoot. They should really mention this in the installation guide.”

Checks installation guide “Well… maybe it should have been in the part I read instead of later on where I SHOULD have read.”

That fixed it! Thank you!!

2 Likes

You are not the first to come across this same mistake. I would recommend learning the basics of CNC movement, as this will help you solve all sort of issues in the future.

In your instance, the stepper was turning the wrong direction, meaning it was pushing the Z axis down, and not triggering the Z-Stop because the Z-Stop is at the top. So there are only two things that could cause this, an incorrect setting in the firmware on the carbide board, which is what the settings/send config changes. Or as Will mentioned, the wiring is backwards. Just something to think about for the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.