Z Plus upgrade inductive homing switch screws

Just got my Z Plus upgrade today and started putting it all together. As far as I can tell there isn’t a set of instructions out but I was able to figure it out pretty easily.

The only part I am not sure about is I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to mount the Z axis inductive homing switch to the z axis plate. I’m either missing a pair of screws, or I think I’m supposed to use a pair of screws from disassembling my old Z axis. Without upgrade instructions its a bit unclear. I wasn’t able to identify a pair of screws long enough or the right size from my old parts.

I did end up having a pair of M3x20 button head screws from another project that seem to be about the perfect size though. Can anyone confirm the size of those screws?

1 Like

I don’t know the answer since I don’t have a Z-plus, but make sure to send a mail to support@carbide3d.com too, they’ll confirm that and provide the missing PDF assembly guide too, I think.

3 Likes

Just did my first homing with the Z-Plus and everything worked the first time. That new Z Plus is rigid.
I might send a support email just for reference. Its possible that I misplaced the screws for the Z homing switch, but it seems unlikely. The hardware for attaching each homing switch came with its own little baggy and I don’t remember seeing a bag for the Z. I’ll shoot them an email to confirm though. Otherwise everything so far seems to be working. I’ll give it its first cuts tomorrow.

3 Likes

Excellent. Be aware that depending on the length of the endmills you are going to use, you may need to use an additional layer of wasteboard under your stock, see this post for detailed info. Just mentioning this so that it does not come as a surprise to you when you start cutting, as this is a common pitfall.

1 Like

I did a small test with the smallest tool I have and it barely reaches the bottom with the half inch wasteboard I have on top of my aluminum threaded table. I think I’ll end up having to switch to a 3/4 inch wasteboard for when I have to reach the bottom with my 1/8th inch short tools. I do however seem to have a few mm of travel left on my Z-axis that I think I can get back by dropping the Z-switch down or manually extending the length of the Z-axis in the machine’s config. I’ll play around with that a bit.

Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

I also set up my new Z-Plus on Monday evening and I had the same screw issue. I sent an email to Will. the two missing screws are M3x18. I used the ones provided in the Z and X and picked up two M3x20 at the Depot. The only thing I can figure is that in the instructions for a new XXL it says that the Z sensor comes preinstalled on the Z-Plus. Mine was not preinstalled which is where I needed the two M3x18s…

I did add a sheet of 3/4 MDF under my waste board. It’s working great now!

4 Likes

Same issue here. Missing two M3x18 screws for the Z switch. Off to the Depot tomorrow - glad to hear they carry M3x20…

If it’s not convenient to make a hardware store contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work this out.

2 Likes

Stuff happens. I practically live at the 'Depot so no worries. You guys really have your hands full with all the variations you have to account for on the upgrade train (Shapeoko 3, XL, XXL, pre December 2019 rails, post December 2019 rails, yada yada).

2 Likes

Please let us know about this even if you do get the screws yourself — we need to track this sort of stuff for QA purposes.

2 Likes

I can also confirm that I did not receive 2 of the M3x18 screws for the z switch. But I had some extra sitting around.

3 Likes

I to have the same problem. Missing the m3 cap screws, emailed the support they replied asap and will be sending me the m3’s.

3 Likes

I bought my XXL a few weeks ago and it came with the inductive homing switches. The instruction book that came with it had great instructions for them and they were shipped with the right screws and the right quantity!

1 Like

Is this an order of a complete machine? I think on new machines (at least according to the instructions) the Z homing switch appeared pre installed. I wonder if that’s why the screws might not have been in the upgrade packages.

Yep an XXL Z Plus, and no, it wasn’t pre installed. Came in a box and I had to screw em in

1 Like

Apparently there was a change in the kits — initially all Z-Plus units had the Z-axis homing switch preinstalled with a short lead and used a wiring extension to make up the length. We’ve since switched to using a full length wire on SO3 units, and not installing on any.

Just a note that I just assembled my upgrade this week with this same issue. I borrowed a screw from another switch so Y & X each have one screw. Good enough for now…

Decent directions to make it happen.

Same missing screws. The Z front plate was also left in a position that it covered up the Z limit switch mounting holes, so I will not be able to install the switch until I can power up the stepper motor. Not a huge issue, but Carbide3D should make note of it.

You are supposed to move the Z-axis all the way down as part of the assembly process per the instructions (after checking that the stop is in place). When not powered it should have low enough friction that it just slides, but worst case is that you turn the lead screw by hand.

1 Like

Well I guess looking at the instructions is one way to do it. :grinning:

Thanks!