Z slipping and broke an endmill

Can you try without Sweepy?

2 Likes

Well I am confused. Without Sweepy it is cutting perfectly.

Well… At least the source is known.
The bristles on Sweepy have been reported to be stiff enough to overcome the Z plunge force.

1 Like

Well that sucks…

2 Likes

:joy:For what it’s worth, I’ve heard it sucks (in the good way) with no brush.
I think some have thinned out the bristles too.

1 Like

In the video it kinda looks like Sweepy is knocking into something, is it clipping a clamp or the left side rail?

2 Likes

No. @neilferreri had it right. The bristles are causing the issue. When plunging the bristles straight down into the work they put up a good fight. Enough that it could cause issues.

I can think of two different solutions. The first is to just heat the bristles with a heat gun and gently bend them outward slightly. 70 degrees should probably do it. The second is to use my 3D printer and print my own “bristles” that are shaped more like flaps and made out of flexible filament.

You might also consider taking off one of the springs to see if that helps.

Them’s stiff bristles.

I use clear PVC ‘curtains’ on my 3D printed dust boot so I can see what the cutter is up to, but sweepy is clear so you can do that already.

Alternatively, there’s lots of folks on eBay selling the bristle strips for making CNC dust shoes with so you can get ready made bristle in various lengths, that’s where I got my bristle strip, that I still haven’t used, from.

1 Like

Apparently craft foam works really well.

2 Likes

I think the bit being used is the #201 / 1/4" up-cut

It was at first. Then I broke a flute on the #201. Now it is an eBay special.

A viable third solution is get a PwnCNC Dust Boot v2. Highly recommended, because it doesn’t mount to the router.

Do you use it?

If so, how do you find it and how much does it reduce the X travel by moving the homing switch?

Thx

I don’t have a bit or a reason to cut thicker wood. It is raised all the way.

Thx,

Looks like there’s good clearance underneath the Z there.

I watched the video on how to install their brackets for HDZ and it seems that the X axis limit switch gets moved over 1/2 - 3/4 inch to accomodate the hanger brackets.

Sorry, I forgot your question about X-axis (there is no change.) Since, you’ve got the HDZ, you know more than me! :smiley:

Daniel Moran (PwnCNC) is a great guy. Just email him and let him give you the details. That will settle it for your machine.

1 Like

I’m impressed with his open source approach, his videos are clear and instructive too.

1 Like

Here is my modded Sweepy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.