Zplus skipping or losing a step?

Recently I have been making some wood lighted Christmas trees. I carve a .5 inch hole for a countersink area and a smaller hole for the bulb to fit thought. It carves the countersink area fine and when it comes back to carve the smaller holes I hear a grinding like gears skipping a tooth. Then it starts air carving. It messes up my z zero. There isn’t anything blocking it. Its not a belt issue since its a z plus. It does this several times then works fine for a while. I tried to make a cribbage board and it did it again and I lost about .25 off my depth for the holes. Any help or duggestions would be appreciated.

Roy

Are you bottoming out?

The Z-Plus doesn’t reach as low as the belt-drive.

The Z Plus has a single mounting point for the router mounting collar. The Belt Drive X/Z has two mounting points one higher and one lower. Depending on where the user installs the mounting collar on the Front Z plate of the Belt Drive Z axis, there are two different operating heights. The Z Plus advertises 3 inches of travel and provides more than that. Your reach is different from that of the lower mounted point of the Belt Drive Z axis. There are 2 options for reaching work when using the Z Plus. A longer endmill or lifting the work up with say a spoilboard.

Plan for DIY EZ tram plate:

No it’s definitely not bottoming out. Most of the time I can cut down into my spoil board. I’m at a little bit of a disadvantage because I did not assemble this machine myself so I don’t know all of the working part. But it was working great and then it goes to drill these holes and I hear a little grinding noise in my Z gets to 0 all out of whack. I don’t know if there are gears to jump or anything I guess I’m going to have to disassemble it and try to see the inside behind the router and mount. I was hoping not to have to do this because I am behind in Christmas orders

If it’s not bottoming out, then it’s most likely lost steps due to too fast plunging — endmills are four times better at cutting to the side then plunge cutting — test and adjust feed rates accordingly.

I know when I was doing the Christmas trees I was lunging pretty aggressively. But the cribbage boards is pretty slow. I’ll have to double-check those settings I’m using Carveco on my cribbage boards because they have a drill tool paths. I’m using whatever stock setting they have in using a peck drill setting. I want to say that the plunge rate is 30 but I am not sure

Cribbage boards are hard, usually in hard/tough materials, and each hole represents a chance to lose a step.

It may be most expedient to use a slightly smaller endmill, and it will help a lot of you can use a helical/ramping in toolpath — precision will be helped by leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

Thank you for that advice I will have to try that. I’m carving into teak so it is pretty hard

Teak also contains silica, and will dull even carbide pretty quickly — check tools frequently and budget for new ones as needed when cutting such materials.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.