Carbide create questions

I am new to this, just got my xxl and I am trying my hand at some designs, to this point it seems to me that Carbide Create is lacking refinement for it to grow with me as I become more adept. I don’t want to waste my time learning a program that I am just going to have to change in a couple of months if it can’t grow with me. So I guess I have a couple of questions.

1. Am I correct in my assessment of Create?

2. What software are you using, or recommend? I am sure you will want to know what I plan on doing with my machine. The thing is I don’t really know at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank all!

I have moved on to VCarve Pro after outgrowing CC capabilities, but CC is so easy to learn (a couple of hours/videos and you are all set) and so convenient for quick and simple cuts, that I think you should learn it anyway. It’s the perfect ramp up SW before moving on to a more serious CAD/CAM program like Vcarve and Fusion360.

2 Likes

I had already learned fusion360 by the time I bought my shapeoko, but my advice is pretty much as @Julien said.

I think it’s worth learning carbide create, its simple and the learning curve isn’t too steep.

I highly suggest vectric software, Vcarve Pro is the best value for the shapeoko, I went all out and bought Aspire, which is quite expensive but has more 3d modelling features. I use this and fusion360 for 100% of my shapeoko design and gcode creation and have no need for anything else.

edit- by no means am I bashing carbide create here, it is simple, and it should be. It’s powerful and improving all the time - it just doesn’t suit the my needs or workflow requirements

2 Likes

Carbide Create is a very basic program, but one which can be surprisingly powerful, especially when paired with a full-fledged CAD or vector drawing program (Inkscape is a popular choice).

Moreover, the principles which are used in it are the same as for other vector drawing programs, so one ought not view learning it as a waste.

I bought Vectric Vcarve Desktop for one project, but haven’t used it since, but it seems a popular choice.

The community has lists of software and notes on them at:

1 Like

Gary, My workflow is to model in OnShape, export DXFs, import the DXFs into Carbide Create to generate gcode, then cut with Carbide Motion.

I use OnShape for two reasons:

• It is free to use if you don’t mind having your models public
  • I used Solidworks starting in 1996 (before leaving the mechanical design business) so I’m familiar with the approach.

If you want private models I’d consider Fusion 360 as an option. The pricing is reasonable on an annual basis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.