I am looking at my recent projects and I am a little concerned about the quality of my pockets and the inconsistencies along the pocket floor. I thought maybe it was showing I need to tram my dw611, which it may need some very minor tweaks. What I am looking at though doesn’t look like a tramming issue though. I checked the set screws and they are all tight and on flat notch. Belts feel tight enough though the info on tensioning these is not precise so it seems subjective as to whether I am correct in the amount of tension. The V wheels are all snug and there is no slop on XYZ carriages when I check them.
When you compare the results between the Z floor of my pocket cuts to my relief cuts… it is night and day. The relief cuts look beautiful… better than anything I ever expected to see. The bottoms are as flat as can they can be. This got me thinking that it might not be adjustments that are required. Considering how many times the Z height changes on a relief carve it really seems like the machine is tuned and accurate.
The images will show you what I am seeing. The Oak job is going to be tough to salvage if not impossible. The entire pocket area will be painted so I might be able to make it work but I am thinking it will be a nightmare to try sanding/filling the height differences. I suspect I will either have to run the job again on new blanks OR run it again on these boards but drop the depth by about .04".
Before I do that, I really need some help figuring out what might have gone wrong. I thought maybe it was the OAK blanks and some inconsistencies in them. But as I started thinking about that it can’t be the answer. Even if the boards had a pronounced cup or variable thicknesses, the floor of the pockets should have still been smooth.
Feed Rate was 25ipm with a cut depth of .125 for the oak project. Spindle speed of DW611 was around 2 on the dial. Step over was about 20% if I recall properly.