Create and Motion Menus scrambled

(Jonathan Pound) #1

Wondering is anyone has any suggestions…

Complete noob here. My new Shapeoko 3 will apparently be delivered on Tuesday so I thought I’d fire up the reconditioned Dell Optiplex PC (8G of Ram, Quad 2.4G processor, Windows7) I bought to run it, and have a look at the Carbide 3D software.

The menus in both Create and Motion are illegible for me:

Does anyone have any ideas?

(Richard Cournoyer) #2

Have you tried looking at your screen resolution?

(Jonathan Pound) #3

Yes, that was my first port of call. It’s set at 1280 x 1024 which is recommended for the screen I bought.

Just tried all other resolution options. No changes…other than a slight headache now :slight_smile:

(William Adams) #4

If possible, update your video driver, and OpenGL software.

Try software rendering:

(Jonathan Pound) #5

Thanks Will

In the process of downloading drivers etc now. I’ve used Macs for the last 15 years, forgotten how much fun this kind of stuff can be.

(Jonathan Pound) #6

Still no joy. I’ve noticed that by amending some of the OpenGL settings I can make it do the ‘white screen’ thing that I’ve seen other (Dell) users complain about.

Wondering if sticking another graphics card in there might be an answer? I can’t even adjust the hardware acceleration with this one.

(Sean Riley) #7

Is it just with the CARBIDE programs or do other programs look the same? If they all look the same video card would be my next step to replace…

(Jonathan Pound) #8

The issue was apparently only with the Carbide programs, although I’d not ventured much further than Chrome and Paint (to save the above screen grabs) .

So, in a fit of desperation, I shelled out £15 for a used GeForce 210 graphics card from Ebay. Problem solved!