Custom Heng lamp

Hi,

I have been wanting to try my own version of the Heng lamp for a while, here’s my current MDF prototype.

• two halves cut in 10mm MDF and glued together, with a deep slot for an LED strip, and a shoulder for the LED diffuser strip.
  • cylindrical holders for two neodynium magnets
  • lamp turns on when both magnets are brought close to each other

The “switch” floating in the air is such a cool idea, I wish I thought of this myself. Hopefully since I did everything from scratch in CC and as I am (obviously) not selling this, I will not infuriate the copyright gods…

CarbideCreate files in case anyone is interested:
heng_v4.c2d (631.7 KB)
magnet_holder.c2d (529.4 KB)

Cheers,
Julien

10 Likes

Brilliant Julien even if you did ‘borrow’ the idea.

Do you have a microswitch mounted in the base?

Yes, microswitch in the base.

What is the LED strip you have used, it seems to have a bezel over the strip as I can’t see the individual LED’s.

The LED strip is a 5630 type, 60 LEDs/m
But what is visible in the picture is a translucent plastic strip added on top, about 1/4" above the LEDs, which diffuses the light and makes the individual dots disappear into a uniform strip of light.

Thanks Julien. I guess that would have been evident if I had taken the time to look at the .cd2 file. Excellent thanks again.

Love the lamp and want to try one myself. Were you able to buy the plastic diffuser strip or did you cut it yourself? I’m not sure I could cut a thin plastic strip that accurately.
Thanks
David

Hi David,
I bought the diffuser strip, it is easier this way. However it should be doable to cut it manually, since the diffuser strip goes in a slot, the edges do not have to be perfect.