Default Aluminum speed to fast?

(Ray Allen) #1

I’m a new at this, but the default speed of 60 in seems way to fast.
I dialed in down to 30% in carbide motion and that looked better.

I found the Carbide3d Shapeoko feeds an speeds chart and it says 30 in for 6061 Aluminum.

So, question is: Why doesn’t the default speed in Carbide Create match the Carbide3d Shapeoko feeds and speed chart?

(mikep) #2

Because it depends on the exact alloy and temper, what you’re using for lubrication, how your clearing chips, and a billion other parameters. 60 is a pretty reasonable number for me, using the depth of cut there, and the right size end mill.

(Ray Allen) #3

I’m sure that’s true, but 6061 is the only aluminum listed in their feeds and speeds chart and Shepeoko 3 doesn’t come with lubrication or any instructions on how to add it…

Anyway, I think the feeds and speeds on the below work OK and I wish they were the default in the software. But, at least there is a button to reduce the speed in carbide motion.

Also, Carbide Create lists speed in units of “in” when I think they really mean “in/min”. Minor point, but would be more clear with the correct units…

(mikep) #4

It also doesn’t come with dust control, but you can cut carbon fibre and fiberglass on it, both of which would “be a bad idea” without good dust control.

You can look around a bit and I’m sure you’ll see a lot of information (even here on the forums) about cutting aluminum, what influences a good surface finish and what cutting rates work with what sorts of endmills. The chart is not cast in stone, it’s a starting point, and pretty much sorta works. A .030" cut with a .25" endmill at that rate isn’t unreasonable, IF you have good chip control.
Cutting to a third of that speed is actually likely to give you rubbing, which will wear out the endmill really rapidly.

(Ray Allen) #5

Interesting… I didn’t know that going to slow could be an issue…

The default is 60 in/min. I forced it down to ~20 in/min or so and it seems OK. But, I guess I don’t know for sure that I’m not wearing out the tool…