G-Wizard and router bits

I am trying to use G-Wizard calculator for feed and speed rates. They say that entering the manufacturer’s spec’s for sfc speed (sfm) and chip load (ipt) gives their system a starting point for all of the 50 variables they calculate. I have researched Steelex, Roman Carbide and Eagle America manufacturers to no avail, even contact EA tech support who said they don’t have that data. Please help, Does anyone know a router mfg’r who publishes this data ? I doubt there is a standard number to input since each bit should be different. See pictures below for clarification. Thanks for any help. I did find that most do state a standard rpm of 24,000 for 1" and smaller bits so that is the RPM I will use in G-Wizard

It’s not the router manufacturer, and most router bit manufacturers won’t have this either. This data is readily available from many end mill manufacturers. For the “cheap” end mills, it doesn’t matter too much, and you’re not going to get it anyway from the “generic” manufacturers.

Here’s an example:
Niagara Cutter.pdf (357.3 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Mike, G-Wizard is kinda tuff for an old guy never done machining. I’ve always felt machinists were blue collar scientists. I’m learning my respect for all of you is well founded. Gonna flop G-Wizard and do it the old way, slow and careful and very conservative (1/2 diameter DOC’s) short cut, check cut, increase feed, 3/4 diam cut, etc. and at least start with the published rates in the wiki. I only cut wood after all. After all Will has worked hard on that and maybe us noobies should take advantage of some hard earned data. ps I checked the niagara.pdf and sorry it doesn’t tell me anything, no wonder G-Wizard isn’t helping. Appreciate your reply, I also has a lot of styrofoam to practice my tool paths with.

If all you’re doing is wood, and all you’re using is a standard router bit, you’re good, don’t worry about it too much at this point. If you’re using something more sophisticated (ball end, square end, small diamter end mills) you’re going to get back to this at some point or another just to avoid breaking tools continuously. If you want to run as quickly as possible, you’re going to want to get into this. Until then, don’t worry about it.

2 Likes