Japanese Joint Box

Since I discovered Japanese joints I’ve been fascinated by their simplicity and beauty. I wanted to start playing with them so I decided to build a simple box. I decided to use 1/8" aluminum stock as the bottom because it has been sitting in a box unused since I bought from Carbide 3D a while back to learn milling aluminum (still haven’t gotten to that). I designed the box in Fusion 360 and thought it would be a good idea to have the design be dependent on a few variables and then constraints adjust automatically to the new measurements . All I need is the size of the bottom piece: length, width, thickness and the thickness of the wood stock I will use and the design is adjusted automatically. I love designing in Fusion 360!.

I ended using cedar wood scraps I found. Not the best wood for this project. I thought it might be good enough on flexibility for the tabs that need to bend but it chips easily and the tips of the tabs are too fragile and either splinter while milling or break off after repeated assembly.

Need to learn more about woods and their properties. Have been buying scrap pieces of various woods to test.

Anyone interested in woodworking should look up japanese joints. Very smart and beautiful and a fun CNC project.

16 Likes

Very nice design. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This would be great with Bamboo, nice work and I’m glad you posted it. I also love designing in Fusion 360.

1 Like

Bamboo would be great. Good suggestion. Have to see where I find bamboo.

1 Like

@patofoto
+1 on the Japanese / CNC Jointery.

This was made on a Nomad?

Plyboo comes in .5" and .75" thick sheets, check your local Hardwood distributor.

http://www.plyboo.com/

1 Like

Thank you @ApolloCrowe!. Yes, Nomad Classic. As my experience grows and ideas accumulate I’m feeling the desire of a larger work area. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Very nice work!!!
I have been learning to work with Fusion 360, it has been a steep learning curve, LOL.

I’ve found this surprisingly hard to source. Most suppliers want to sell at least a full sheet (not surprising), but finding someone to even sell it to you is a bit challenging unless you want to ship it (expensive!).

Some great ideas here for wood cnc joints. http://mkmra2.blogspot.com/2014/08/cnc-cut-wood-joinery.html

2 Likes

Great article on joints that could be done with CNC