Joining Offset Shapes

This is a similar question to this topic:

I would like to join these offset shapes to place within a project. I’d like to remove the straight lines at the 2 o’clock position joining the shapes at the points at 12 and 6 o’clock and then be able to place the remaining shape. Tried variations from the link above, but just can’t find the solution. Here’s a screen grab and I’ve also included the c2d file.
Join%20Lines
Join Lines.c2d (425.0 KB)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Since Carbide Create doesn’t allow composite paths to be handled as such in Boolean operations what you need to do is to edit the inner path to be larger an overlap the outer one where you want to remove geometry:

First add some nodes by punching out a corner along the straight line:

Then go into edit mode and arrange the nodes:

then select the outer shape and control click on the inner shape so that it’s the key object and do a Boolean Subtraction:

Attached.
joined lines.c2d (424.9 KB)

2 Likes

So easy when the steps are done in the correct order! Thank you for the quick response and awesome instruction Will.

1 Like

For context, I thought it would be useful to show the problem piece and completed piece. These are brass medallions provided by @BoscoBob that are .040 thick. Spent some time trying to flatten them, and they’re close, within .001, but as we know in machining, that’s what it’s all about!

The missing .001:
Missing

And complete with a bit of cleaning left to do:
Complete

4 Likes