Kinect 3D scanning to create a shell

For one (likely more) of my Shapeoko projects is to fit a shell over a mechanical framework. I have been thinking about a 3d scanner, and been playing with the David 3D scanner software for several years, with lots of promise, but no delivery in terms of usable results, Recently an Article discussed a Group from MIT using a $150 Microsoft Kinect based scanning system to scan a TRex head at 500Micrmeter resolution. While I did find a similar thread, has anyone delved into this-or something similar? While I could simply wrap the frame work in question with a film and spray urethane foam on it to make the shell, I would rather scan it and have the Shapeoko cut both sides for a repeatable fit and finish. As I am going to add EstlCam and it can use Xbox360 controllers, and my monsters have a an Xbox 360 with Kinect that will likely be repalced, I may be inheriting all of this hardware.

1 Like

ive tried befor on the old style connect for the x360 wasn’t getting the results I wanted and nowhere near 500mic I have the newer connect for xone now so i may give it a whirl again at some point.I have notice there are some plug and play options now ranging from $149=$249 on the low end I’m sure but they had great reviews,may be another option for a quick fix/plug and play.Guess it would depend if you wanted the knowledge of building it out and cross fingers or just purchace plug in and be done…I’m totally on the fence,Glad to see you are into nerdy endevors aswell hahaha

1 Like

I looked at what was available on Amazon late last year and after contacting several companies, chose to think time would help the development there of.
Now after really considering the needed level of detail, I think 20mm resolution will be enough. The scans I can use are more of a “low pressure blow mold” of capturing larger surface contours than a detailed measurement.
Since I can pull the Kinect 360 and have downloaded the free version of scanect I will likely see what it can do-Looking at what provides,and what I need-general contours, not perfect measurements,-the backside will need to fit the contours with general detail, sort of like the Styrofoam insert of a bike helmet…a generic fit of the larger details. It may well provide a usable starting point

1 Like