Learning occurs (sometimes!)

Got the idea for this the other day, since I’m still very much in the learning stages rather than producing high quality finished products. Just a little sign to hang over my machine to remind myself that even spectacular failures are valuable if I learn from the mistakes, and more importantly that I capture the learning in some form so I don’t make the same mistakes twice.

Lettering was carved with a 60 deg 1/2" V-bit, and then the fire and warning sign were done with a combination of adaptive and contour paths using a 1/8", 1/16", and 1/32" flat endmills. I then wood burned the lettering, although the stain sort of covered up the parts that make it look burned. Stain was just a crappy color I had on hand and wasn’t using for anything else. My wife (resident artist and design CEO) did the painting, and I put on a few quick coats of spray poly to seal it.

The CAD/CAM piece is becoming easier and easier for me, but the finishing part…ooh I have much to learn yet.

Fusion 360 design and toolpaths:

Pardon the crappy finish.

Hanging in place.

5 Likes

I like the flame, the iside flame is different than the outside flame, nice effect.

2 Likes

Thanks. I wish I could say that was from my own brilliance, but it was a free .svg I found through a simple google search. Same with hazard sign. It’s hard to tell in the pictures but the black outline on the sign is extruded down to the same depth as the fire.

1 Like

Your brilliance was creating knowledge from what others might have preceived as a failure. I don’t see any failure though, that’s a good sign (pun intended). Jude

2 Likes