New User - SuperPID Sale - Styrofoam Enclosures?

Recently placed my order for the Shapeoko XXL kit & figured I’d say hi to the user forum while I’m waiting for it to arrive.
Also just noticed that SuperPID has a 15% off sale this month… So ordered that too - certainly helps with the current exchange rates here to the cold & north… Winter is coming…

Having looked through the forum quite extensively over the past month or so, I had wondered if any users had constructed an enclosure for their kit from styrofoam panel materials such as Kerdi-board: https://www.schluter.ca/schluter-ca/en_CA/Building-Panels/KERDI-BOARD-Panels/c/BP-KBP

I find this appealing as it would minimize weight while utilizing an acoustical absorbant material - but would love to know if anyone has tried it!

1 Like

I just got some 1-inch thick foam sheets to do just this. I want to be able to lift the whole enclosure off when I need to do something. I wasn’t ready to start doing this right now, but my neighbor was doing a project and had two sheets left over, so I bought them. I don’t have a plan at all yet though.

If you look carefully in the SuperPID documentation, they mention the fact that you should add a heatsink to it. They have a piece of metal glued to the board, and you attach your heatsink there. If I recall right, they also mention, or was it them answering my question by mail, that you should have a some airflow if you put the board in an enclosure.

My enclosure was 3D printed, and within it, I got a small MeanWell 5V AC-DC power supply and the board. I’ve added vent holes in the case and a fan to pull air out. Having no use for the thermal probe, I’ve used it to monitor the temperature within the case.

Whatever material you want to use to enclose your PID, make sure it has decent airflow, and a steady 5V current inline.

Jeff

A lot of foam products are mighty flammable.

Just something to consider.

1 Like

That’s what I did. Ordered the fan from VHipe and a heatsink off Amazon:

Works good!

Dan