Newbie just joined

(Patrick) #1

Hi folks, greetings from sunny Singapore.

Just downloaded the carbide create, and I’m very very new to CNC Router.
I managed to open an SVG file and create toolpaths successfully to make my first cuts.
Not so lucky on my second cuts (different objects/toolpaths).
No idea why the Z plunged suddenly at a pocket that’s supposed to stop at bottom of material. It plunged double the depth and into the wasteboard.

Any ideas why this has happened?

Thanks in advance.

(William Adams) #2

There was a just fixed bug relating to Z-depths — please check which version you have, update if need be, and if you still have the problem, post both the .c2d file and the generated G-Code either here or to

(Patrick) #3 (782.5 KB)
Here’s the Gcode.

I won’t be able to spot any errors in the Gcode as I’m not trained or schooled in this area. Hope someone here can enlighten. Thanks b

(Patrick) #4

And here’s the Carbide file.
Mox_8Grips_5GP.c2d (657.8 KB)

(Patrick) #5

Thanks very much WillAdams, I just posted the files.
Hope you folks here with better experience can help.

(Patrick) #6

By the way, I just downloaded the latest version today.

(Adam X) #7

I just took a look at the gcode you attached and it seems fine - I don’t see any major, odd, plunge moves. Let us know if you still have an issue on the newer version of CM.

(Patrick) #8

Thanks Adam. I’ll try it out again.
Hopefully it’s just a glitch.

(Patrick) #9

I have found out the actual cause. All due to my negligence during the designing please when I duplicated vectors. The particular pocket had a duplicate hence the depth when 2x deep.
The error was stopped by a Gcode viewer called jViewer (freeware)! The problematic Gcode was uploaded to jViewer and it shows only partial simulation out toolpaths.
I went back to Inkscape and checked, and yes there were duplicates that shouldn’t be there.
Lesson learnt and thanks to all who looked and helped.

(Patrick) #10

Dang! Happened again. Cut out the first set of profiles correctly. Decided to cut another set and on its final cuts, the Z axis made a weird noise and the wasn’t able to retract fully, dragged across the almost finished material :frowning:
Can’t find out what went wrong. Very frustrating.

(Daniel Loughmiller) #11

A common cause of weird noises on the zaxis movement is it running off the bottom of the rails, when it was cutting near the bottom of the depth did the z plate seem fully extended? Is the router mounted fairly low in the spindle bracket?

(Patrick) #12

No, the Z plate has ample space.
I used a Chinese spindle and there’s about 15mm of the spindle body sticking out of the bottom of the spindle clamp’s bottom surface.

(Daniel Loughmiller) #13

The next thought would be belt tension. Without enough tension on the z-axis belt it’s not difficult for it to slip.

(Patrick) #14

I’ll check on this first thing in the morning, thank you.