Official Carbide 3D Touch Probe in the Wild

Whilst I sway towards agreeing it’s not overly difficult to calculating the offset required.

I guess if they had every dimension bit under the sun they’d have a very large list.

1 Like

I needed one 2 months ago.

Let me get this straight, I will also need to upgrade the controller PCB (flash it) and use a newer version of CM?

Thanks!

I’m thinking that the list would be relatively short. There are metric and inch size end mills, and there are several standard sizes in both directions.
Maybe, there could be a way to add to this list? Maybe, copy and modify an existing end mill size?
Share these custom settings online somewhere?
And save them too, like in a library (folder) on ones computer/network.

Perhaps it will be a feature they add - I don’t know what plans they have. At present they only support 1/4, 1/8, 1/16.

Its easy enough to compensate using an offset.

Just let the user type in the size. They must have had a reason not to do it this way (doubt it’s technical).

3 Likes

Very logical, a great idea.

Makes me wonder how how you’d use it with a tapered ball end. I guess you could run XYZ with a calibrated blank the same diameter as the shaft of the end mill to get a proper XY than replace the blank with the tapered end mill and run Z. Adds a little extra effort to the process but not anything major.

So are these available to the public yet, or are they still in a beta test period?

3 Likes

I imagine very shortly.

@gixxergreko - unsure at the moment there are only ball and straight bit’s in carbide motion at present.

1 Like

A tapered ball end mill is usually a standard size at the depth of its radius (i.e. 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 4mm, etc.). So, in this case, one only needs to move a tapered mill that radius distance in the -Z direction to perform a touch off for the remaining X and Y. But if the script defaults go to far in the -Z direction, then it will definitely be an issue for tapered cutters.
Are ther non-ball end mills?

Ball and flat are the only options at present

1 Like

And only in sizes 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4.

1 Like

Hoping Carbide will add dimensional support for tools (vs. the existing fixed drop-down options). Additionally, dimensional support for touch plates would be a win.

3 Likes

I’ll second that! Who knows what new tools will be available tomorrow.

But I know one that won’t…

:wink:

1 Like

very nice MrBeaver, you certainly deserved to win this!

Support for other tool diameters is a must as the three given inch presets are useless if you use metric endmills like a 6mm endmill.

you can just calculate the offset of a tools diameter and add it to the program.

2 Likes

Hi Luke, thanks for showing the probe in your video! I was wondering where the electronic is located in the probe? Is there more than a LED in the probe itself?
Would you be able to post some pictures from the underside of the probe and the side where the cable harness enters the probe?

See C3D Probe Photos