Pineapple Serving Tray

Just finished cleaning up this serving tray. It’s made out of 3/4" hard maple. Wasn’t sure it was going to be a good day for CNC as this one started out with my Z axis crashing to the top and plunging the v bit too deep, twice. Was able to turn her over and save the piece. If you notice there is a fair amount of burning from the v bit around the edges and at the top of the pineapple. I tried to adjust rpm’s but it didn’t help. The v bit is fairly new. I ran the dewalt 611 at the number 2 setting which is about 18,200 rpm. I really don’t mind the heat spots on the edge as it looks like the outside color of a pineapple but just curious if anyone would have any insight to this minor problem. I’ll be wiping the piece down with mineral oil to finish.

5 Likes

Is this the vectric project they released in the latest newsletter?

Did you try adjusting your feed rate ?

Here is the one I made for my wife. It is made out of Red Grandis. She loves it. Thanks Vectric for this project.

4 Likes

Yes it is Craig. I did adjust the feed rate but slowed it down to 25 inches a minute. Maybe too slow? My v cut looks pretty deep compared to Stacy’s and the vectric pics.

Yep that is pretty slow. Mine was 100 ipm and it cut fine. Could probably go faster if you wanted to but I find I am more comfortable at around that speed for most wood.

1 Like

That’s pretty slow, I usually cut hard maple at 70-80 IPM, you can also create a second pass set slightly deeper to take a light final cut at a faster rate if you continue to have issues.

Thanks guys. I’ll make adjustments and try again. Maybe I can get better results the second go around.

Made another one and it turned out the way it should by design. Adjusted the router up to keep z axis from topping out. It went good this time. This one is going to be a Christmas gift for my mother in law.

3 Likes

Much much better. She will love it.

1 Like

can you share the cad file please.

Here is the link to download the files Fahad. This is Vectric VCarve software.

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2016/pineapple-fruit-server.html

Thank you for sharing @Bjohnes

Please

Any one have access to vcarve can save the file as dxf and svg .

Something is screwy. The SVG file is not uploading correctly.

Sorry for the trouble. The forum is a black box, so there’s not much we can do to tweak it.

I did just upgrade to the latest version though so that may have helped.

Thanks @Bonch

My mom will love it

Still doesnt work but if you need the svg file, send me a message with your email and I will send it to you.

For yucks, I decided to import this .svg into Carbide Create (thanks, Bonch!). CC opened this up just fine, however there are some post import issues I’m experiencing:

• Using any of the alignment tools produces a skewed mish-mash of vector results.
  • I can’t get a toolpath created with any of the imported vector objects,

I also tried saving the post-imported project into .c2d format, reopening it, and still the same results.

What am I missing?
Is there a setting/operation in CC that needs to be activated?

I have made 7 of these and 3 had the same result of of the x axis crashing. I did reset my bowl for a deeper dish of .4". Did 3 passes and a .05 as a clean up pass number 4.