Placing my Shapeoko 3 at chest level - any forseen issues?

The most space saving place I can put the machine is on top of a book shelf which will make it about chest to shoulder level (I will be adding a steel cabinet at the rear to match the width of the shapeoko. Do you see any possible issues I might encounter with this setup? Would it be too high? (It will be in an enclosure)

My XXL is on a 39" bench and I have considered lowering it by 2-3" because it’s hard to load much beyond the front half of the machine (I’m 6’ tall). The standard SO3 is much smaller however and at 39-40" wouldn’t be bad. Unless you’ve got really long arms (and maybe a periscope) I don’t think you’ll be happy with it at shoulder height. You’ll be trying to load materials, clamps, end mills, etcetera almost at eye level. Just my $0.02

Dan

1 Like

You should be fine. I took a picture of my workbench just for you. I have a regular SO3, and the surface of my work bench is at 43" tall. I am only 70" tall, but it is the perfect height for me to stand and work comfortably without being hunched over. If I am loading a file, placing stock, or anything working with the machine, I’m standing anyway. I have a bar stool style shop chair that I sit in and watch, so the taller work bench height works for that anyway.

1 Like

Thanks! Hard to see the height perspective as I can’t see the floor, but good to know 43" is good. Though my shelf is around 48".

Sorry, yeah you can see my door that goes out the back of my garage next to it and that is a standard size people door. I think 48 will be fine as long as you are about my height (5’10") or taller. If you are more vertically challenged, it might suck for you.