Question for the folks using superglue + painters tape

Hello Forum,

I have a question for the people using painters tape and superglue for work holding. Has anyone successfully used this method of work holding on acrylic or other plastics? Reason I ask is I know that superglue will craze many plastics, it doesn’t even have to touch it, just the off gassing alone will do it. If you’ve done this, and been successful, do you overlap the tape? Do you use the superglue really sparingly? How to?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

It works well for Lexan but I dont mess with acrylic. I leave the factory shrink wrap/film on the piece and put the masking tape on the film that way there is not a way for the superglue to ever touch the material that you are cutting

3 Likes

I have had no problems using it with cast acrylic. I leave the paper backing on and cover the whole piece with tape. I have had instances where I used too much glue and thought I was going to have spots on the acrylic, but I peeled off the backing and it was fine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight guys, I’ll have to give it a shot.

Dan

I did a minor variation: Tape on the wasteboard, left the paper on both sides of the acrylic, then used Super 77 between the sheets and between the tape on the wasteboard and the stack. Stacked three sheets and machined them all at once. I tried it with superglue, couldn’t get good enough coverage and it was too brittle and I kept loosing grip on big chunks of the sheet. Sheets were about 12" square. With the super 77, just wedge a flexible putty knife between the sheets and the paper peels right off.

1 Like

So it seems that leaving the backing on the plastic is key here? Makes sense, no tape gaps, no CA crazing. I have some good cast acrylic with the heavy paper backing, but I also have some of the cheap big box store acrylic with more of a stretch wrap backing, don’t know that I’d trust that to hold my work in place. I also have some sheet PVC on hand for a project for a friend. It’s not clear, but I don’t want to burn it up either way, I’ll have to see if it has a substantial backing on it to glue down. Thanks again for the input!

Dan

Scotch77 is fun stuff, and strong if applied right. I used to use it to laminate thin plywood skins over foam core wings back in my RC glider days. Get a thin coat on each surface, let it dry for a minute or so, stick it together and clamp, never coming loose!

Dan

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.