Spindle tries to turn on, Machine Crashes

After Jogging the machine I hit “Spindle On” the spindle rotates about 1 revolution then the machine crashes. Crashes as in shutting down and the light turning off on the front.

The error I get on Carbide motion is: GRBL Error: Serial Port: Device Not Found Error.

After jogging again and running the homing mode from a program the machine just shut down. The front light just blinks and Carbide Motion cannot connect to it. The machine seems dead. Please help.

I see that you’ve contacted support@carbide3d.com — we’ll work this out with you there, and you can report back on the fix (or staff can do so, or both) here.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. It just blinks. Cannot get anything more out of it.

I’ve only just gotten my Nomad, and am still learning my way around it, so not competent to help (I suspect this may require electronics expertise which I do not have) — someone will contact you as quickly as they can.

It sounds like a power problem. Could be the power source (plugged into a power strip maybe?), the power supply or cable that came with the machine, or perhaps the board has a bum regulator, missing capacitor or a bad solder connection. Or maybe a screw down terminal got jostled loose on transport.

But the symptoms sound like the current draw of the spindle causes a voltage sag to the controller board. I guess that could also be a short in the spindle or on the way to the spindle.

1 Like

I opened the back panel to blow out any dust that may have gotten into the electronics area. I was surprised how clean it was. I did not notice any obvious burns on the boards and checked all the wires and made sure the connectors were tightly attached. I have the power supply connected to a UPS battery backup to prevent any chance of surges or damage to the machine if the power goes out during a operation.

Power is getting to the machine, the lighted switch in front continues to blink as if a limit or reset switch was hit. Seems to be in a protective mode. Kinda like a GFCI tripping and needs to be reset.

Yeah. Sounded like it is getting power, just not a solid 5v rail when the current draw exceeds some threshold (or too quickly). You might try plugging it into the wall directly in case the UPS isn’t passing through sufficient current or responding quickly enough to increased demand (just for comparison).

Yes, tried that. Tried again this, morning. It is not a power problem from the AC side. I will try to test the DC side sometime today with a multimeter.

Still have not head back from Support email.

One new thing I noticed. When the Nomad is turned on the blue light blinks. I hear a buzz sound from the DC power supply during each blink. The green light on the DC power supply also flashes.

I am beginning to think this may be the DC power supply. When the Nomad is off the green light is steady on the DC PS.

1 Like

@Qwaid

Jorge can skype with you this afternoon if your available?

I’ll give you a call now.

1 Like

I replied to your email with my Skype name. Send request so I can add you. I should be back to the shop by 3pm.
I may have missed your call, I was on a conference call.