Spoilboard resurface

Would this https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Spoilboard-Surfacing-Router-Shank/dp/B071748JQN/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1522797217&sr=8-1&keywords=CNC+Spoilboard+Surfacing+Router+Bit%2C+1%2F4"+Shank&dpID=315cpLpBWIL&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch actually resurface MDF or just shred it?

1 Like

Works great.

1 Like

A bit pricey

I use one of these:

That I bought on Banggood.com for $6 (Two & half years ago and it still works great)

2 Likes

Rich, curious if you’ve used that on aluminum?

Yes I do!

Why do I need 20 characters…Grrrrr

2 Likes

I just used my 1/4" bit, really didn’t take very long, but I also have the regular S3 not one of the larger models. I did find surfacing it to leave a very porous surface. I sealed it with a mix of elmers glue and water (50/50).

Unless you have magic math, it takes 4 times as long…right Dan?

Sure it takes longer I just don’t find it takes long overall. If you’re taking off a tiny amount like you normally do with surfacing you can run it pretty fast.

That’s an interesting idea - do you find the glue/water mixture swells the MDF at all?

I didn’t find that it did, but to be fair I also didn’t do any kind of dial indicator test before/after. I did however find that double stick tape didn’t hold well to the surface the flattening left, it just pulled up frizzy bits.

If a non-water based solution would swell it less you could use shellac, spray can should be find for that purpose.

1 Like

Cool, I have one, not used it yet. Heard they were POS after I ordered it so haven’t been eager to try.

To get around the 20 character thing (kind of), use this hack:

left angle bracket - type some text to get to 20 characters - right angle bracket

The text in the brackets won’t show.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.