Super PID in use by anyone?

Super PID. Anyone using it? Function with Carbide Motion?

I recently added one to my XXL:

Looks to be a great addition, however with Christmas, birthdays, house shopping, various life events, I haven’t had a chance to really use my XXL for the last few weeks since I installed it. I use mine with knob control, so I can’t comment on how well it works with PC control, however it doesn’t look like it’s a big deal to make work, I just preferred the simplicity of the knob. If you have any questions let me know.

Dan

1 Like

Thank you for the info and quick reply. I’m a noob and still in the carbide collection phase, so not doing a lot with mine yet but the SuperPID looked like a good idea. I’m guessing it is a VFD with no enclosure. Anyway it’s good to hear you like yours.

I added a Super PID to my 1st generation Shapeoko 3. I had it connected to the Carbide Motion controller, but I use bCNC and not Carbide Create as my CAM software. Everything was working pretty well, but I kept having USB disconnects. Carbide 3D sent me a newer version of the Carbide Motion controller, and my USB disconnects went away. Unfortunately, I haven’t reconnected the Super PID to the Carbide Motion controller since the upgrade (I built my solution to have some switches so that I could manually control the Super PID or have the controller board control it; I set it to manual when I switched out my board and haven’t switched it back due to laziness).

The way I had mine connected, I was getting automatic start/stop of the spindle, along with automatic RPM setting. This required changes to the grbl code on the controller. If you are OK with starting and stopping the spindle by hand, you can use the existing PWM and Ground outputs from the controller for just automatic RPM setting (no grbl change necessary).

I wrote up my experiences here.

3 Likes

SuperPID user here. FWIW, I do not use the Dewalt DWP611, simply because the SuperPID makes you give up on the speed wheel and you also have to bypass the soft start component of the router. The Porter Cable 450 is essentially the same router, but without the speed wheel, its black, has a different logo on it, and its cheaper.

I have yet to control the SuperPID via the PC to input speed, I do that manually via the thumb wheel.

One thing to remember, since you are removing the soft start, make sure you dial down the speed on your thumb wheel before you start your router. Starting the router at 20,000 rpm without a soft start can and will damage the router and can give a good slap on your shapeoko. Don’t ask me how I figure that one out. :stuck_out_tongue:

However, I decided to use something else than CM, simply because I wanted to automate the process of homing, probe usage and coordinate settings. I am using Grbl Panel, a program written in .NET, and can be found here: https://github.com/gerritv/Grbl-Panel/wiki

Hope this helps.

Jeff

2 Likes

It was mentioned online that running the Dewalt router at lower RPM compromises it’s cooling requirements.

Is that true? and has anyone got any experience to share?

The SuperPID comes with a temperature probe, so the temperature differential could be measured, if 5-12k RPM overheats the router, could it be damaging to non serviceable parts inside the DWP611?

The SuperPID still looks like a great solution and product, but I had to ask on here before placing an order, just in case. Thanks

Not sure, but I just ordered replacement ceramic hybrid bearings to make it run a little cooler. I am mid process of a PID conversion, but will let you know how it goes.

If you want to see what Ive done thus far, check out my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/wannabe_maker/

3 Likes

Technically, the DeWalt and the Porter Cable are air cooled, and they use fan blades attached to the shaft to cool itself down.

I ran the DeWalt for an 8 hours part, and 12,000rpm without problems. I ran short jobs at 8,000rpm and I did not notices a major uprising in temperature, thanks in part to the router being connected to a plate that helps heat dissipate.

But no, beside myself killin my DeWalt after starting it at a too high RPM withe my SuperPid, I never ran into a problem.

As for the temp probe, I use it inside my Pid casing, not on the router itself. I just wanted to monitor the Pid itself.

Just start your router at 5,000 - 8,000 rpm with your Pid, and you will be fine.

Jeff

1 Like

I recently got my Super Pid up and running properly using GRBL 1.1f and Carbide Motion 4.0.407. I am using the Dewalt router DWP 611. It was very confusing during the program process.because the Carbide Motion software only shows a few letters of the GRBL software version on the settings page. I thought it wasn’t programming the controller because of this. Router turns on now with M3 and turns off with M5. I also found out that GRBL version 1.1f adds parking motion override control which is needed to control router speed after shut down. Without parking motion override I would shut off the router to do a tool change and router would default to max speed. Not what I want. Now router runs almost perfectly via software control. I used the Arduino software to program the controller since I am used to the Arduino IDE. I tried using the Xloader as suggested but kept losing the settings in the eeprom.

1 Like

I have a SuperPID working on my Dewalt 611 with my Shapeoko XXL. Modification of the router was really straightforward, but I didn’t bother connecting it to my motion board. I like the manual control just fine. I lasercut an enclosure, but you can easily cut something on the CNC or by hand.

1 Like

Randy,
Did you need to modifyGRBL 1.1 to get the Super PID working with the PWM output from the CM board?

I’m surprised the SuperPID doesn’t have a programmable soft-start?

1 Like

I did modify GRBL in order to get the PID working automatically with the carbide motion board. The PID needs 0 volt to start and 5 volts to stop.

1 Like