Wasted movements v-carving text, Aluminum guide

TXT test on AL.c2d (172 KB)
I don’t know where or how C-3D gets their algorithms for forming the gcode for text but there are a lot of wasted movements that cause as much as 2x or 3x the cut time. In the file uploaded, for Ex, the cutter does not form each letter in a single plunge (Word: “Corvette”). Rather, it will form a fraction of the letter, then go to retract height, come back down and then continue with another portion of the letter and so on. A lot of time wasted in retracting and pecking and plunging. I know it will come up before taking a lower depth of cut but it is coming up many times during 1 depth of cut pass. Does CB3D purchase these font algorithms from a third party?__On a second note, some guidance on cutting AL would have been nice. I realize different machines and work holding will effect the feeds and speeds, as well as cutter types. I had to do a lot of trial and error to finally arrive at some usable feeds and speeds for 6061-T6 AL. Had I not had 30+ yrs of machining experience, I would have broke many cutters instead of just 1. Even the cutter vendors like Amana have garbage cutting speed and feed info; they don’t even change the RPM recommendation for wood between a 1/16"D cutter vs a 1/4"D cutter. I called them out on that; their explanation was, well routers have limited speed options. I guess they have never heard of a VFD.

It’s not just limited to text. It’s the V-carve algorithm. Convert the text to curves, clean it up, join/unite/weld, it still does the same thing.

I’ve asked for the ability to turn off the ‘picking out the corners’ part of the V-carve process, so it would only trace the curves & follow the bi-tangencies and skip the sharp corners.

1 Like

I only hear birds chirping…