XXL Wasteboard upgrade

(Jose Prieto) #41

I want you to excuse me, but I have already used a base in engineering plastic, in wood and come to the coclusion that the base must be rigid, either in aluminum or iron.

(Patrick Andersen) #42

I have already used a base in engineering plastic, in wood and come to the coclusion that the base must be rigid, either in aluminum or iron.

I take your point JoseD3. However cost is a consideration for many.

Thinking about it though, already there are a lot of plastics in a Shapeoko in the form of V-wheels and Belts all significant components!

(William Adams) #43

Yes, but there’s also “The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay” aspect of it, and the thing only being as strong as its weakest link. That should be the V-wheels — any wear / distortion should happen there (and they’re relatively inexpensive and easily replaced).

For some folks, cutting some materials, the MDF won’t be workable, but for many folks, it’s fine — it’s a kit, and the wasteboard is one of the most customizable aspects of it.

(Jose Prieto) #44

In my case I cut hard wood, copper, aluminum and require exact measurements, but my council is the fruit of working every day with Shapeoko, I also believe that the person who has one of these machines at some point needs to make a accurate cut . You can put now or leave to do it later.]

(Jim Shelton) #45

I just received an email from Carbide they now have a T-Track table, just ordered it for my xxl.
Can’t wait