Z Height issues

Tried to do a simple 4 hole cut 1st hole correct dia.and depth, 2nd hole correct dai. but depth was shallow, 3rd hole correct dia. but the depth keeps getting shallower, 4 hole same issue, depth keeps getting shallower.

G-Code from Aspire 8.5. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

You are skipping steps in your Z axis.
Can be loose belts, dust shoe causing skip or loose set screw.
You should be able to see it or hear it skip during the operation. Run it again and pay close attention.

4 Likes

I agree w/ fiero1.

For me, I was missing both set screws for the z-axis.

2 Likes

Make sure that the set screw in on the motor’s FLAT. VERY important, because it will still slip even though you think it is tight.

3 Likes

Thanks Rich, I checked the set screws and found both to be tight, but I did find the pulley at the bottom of the Z plate to be lose, re-tighten and applied Lock Tite and it seems to be working. I think I will look into replacing the screw with a longer one and a lock nut. Appreciate the help

2 Likes

I checked the set screws and found both to be tight, but I did find the pulley at the bottom of the Z plate to be lose, re-tighten and applied Lock Tite and it seems to be working. I think I will look into replacing the screw with a longer one and a lock nut. Appreciate the help and insight

2 Likes

Not sure a longer bolt will fit. Measure first.