2.5" host to Ridgid vac and/or PVC pipes?

Alrighty, here’s my setup I’m hoping to improve slightly.

• Fulton 2-1/2" x 20’ Ultra Flex Clear-Vue Heavy Duty PVC Hose
  • Ridgid 45L NXT Shopvac
  • Dustopper

I’d like to use the Fulton flex wherever I can instead of the shopvac hose, since I can cut it to length. Beyond that I’d like to use some sort of pipe for the straight run from the floor under the CNC, to the ceiling, and then the flex hose hangs down.

Home Depot sells 2" or 3" PVC pipes. I’m obviously keen on keeping the full 2.5" diameter to keep the flow rates up and reduce restrictions. Has anyone come across any adapters or setups I can copy? I tried checking Thiniverse for 3D printed adapters but their search is poor and it’s a couple dozen pages of search results. Obviously the final step would be just designing all my own in CAD, but I am figuring this MUST have been done ad-nauseum :slight_smile:

EDIT: I’d like to take a moment for a big :fu: to the mix and match of ID/OD measurements used in the conduit/pipe/tubing world.

1 Like

Maybe use a heat gun on the pvc until it is flexible and then carefully mold it around the 2.5 fitting and let it cool for air tight connection.

In the shop vac section HD has the long straights for the vac.

I was hoping not to buy those shop vac extension tubes as they are pretty pricey for what they are - 15$ for 2 feet.

I’ve designed and printed some duct adapters but they mostly interface with the blast gates.

DWV pipe was the least expensive when I bought it for my setup. I used mostly 6in and a little bit of 4in.

Check out thingiverse.com and you should find hundreds of different adapters to go from just about anything to anything.

1 Like

Pvc has straight wall and reduces turblance and increases dust collection. I bought a meter to test air speed. I measures right at dc and at Shapeoko and has a 50 percent loss with spiral dc hose. So if possible metal or pvc works much better if you can accomadate the piping in your shop. Be sure you run a continuous ground down pvc to reduce static. Pvc and moving air will create static. Use sheet metal screws just long enough to pierce pvc so you don’t create choke points to catch chips.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.festoolownersgroup.com%2Fworkshops-and-mobile-vehicle-based-shops%2Fhow-to-properly-ground-dust-collection-system%2F%3Faction%3Ddlattach%3Battach%3D290536&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.festoolownersgroup.com%2Fworkshops-and-mobile-vehicle-based-shops%2Fhow-to-properly-ground-dust-collection-system%2F&tbnid=hQHvD0w2NgYRPM&vet=12ahUKEwiWqfOE_5_yAhVOja0KHWFIBVsQMygGegUIARCMAw..i&docid=TQcBzojaKM3t3M&w=448&h=336&q=pvc%20dust%20collection%20grounding&client=ms-android-verizon&ved=2ahUKEwiWqfOE_5_yAhVOja0KHWFIBVsQMygGegUIARCMAw

2 Likes

I agree. Straight pipe will reduce interference. I also agree with grounding. Static plays a big part in issues you will encounter. AND you will.

Good luck

I definitely would like straight wall, hence the question about adapters.

It sounds like designing my own will be easiest. I’ll post 'em on thingiverse if this topic is still open.

I currently don’t get any static at all. Is the Ridgid shopvac hose designed to dissipate static? Likewise for the Fulton PVC hose.

A while ago I made this lot as a set of (mostly parameterized) Fusion 360 models to 3D print and they’ve worked nicely for me so far.

The adaptors to the spiral antistatic hose are internally or externally threaded and simply screw onto the hose.

If those look useful I can re-upload the Fusion models for them (I did in another thread but can’t remember which one now).

6 Likes

:heart_eyes: That looks amazing! Would love those files.

2 Likes

Hose Adapters.zip (2.4 MB)

Here’s a zip of the main parts.

There’s the gate valve which is set up to be parameterised for the size of the pipe, I made the pipe holes slightly tapered to ensure a tight fit and put the M4 bolts in to provide some locking. They print in two housing halves plus the gate, the housing halves are flat faced so they don’t need any supports for printing, the gate has a little bit of support under the spring tabs.

The spiral hose adapters are also somewhat parameterised, I suggest the outer adapter as that doesn’t reduce the internal diameter as much, the internal one I use to stop down to a much smaller pipe for use on my track saw or sanders.

HTH

2 Likes

Amazing! Printing them now I’ll see how they fit :slight_smile:

I had to iterate a couple of times on the fitting diameter for the pipes, I think over here we have a metric wall thickness on the 2 inch pipe or something similarly confused and British. In the end I just took a caliper to the pipe I had and set that as the mid-point of the taper.

2 Likes

Thanks again!

Not exactly your design but copied/inspired from it. I decided to do ID since it’s barely anything and the shopvac has more vacuum then flow anyways. Probably not losing a huge amount.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.